Sparge Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently nothing bad should happen but clarity might be an issue. He's a brewer, and somehow he dumped his 180 sparge water on the floor and didn't have time to get 150 gallons or so up to temp.

I think the theory is of you've obtained full conversion, sparge water temp shouldn't matter.

It's nearly irrelevant to efficiency. The only thing affected could be malt profile if there is still conversion going on...but I don't think it would be very noticeable.

Wow! 150 gallons of 180 degree water on the floor!?!

If that happened to me I would have a lot of trouble even finishing the brew. I guess on my porch it would drain through the deck boards but anywhere else I would be trying to get things out of the water without getting scalded!

The results, I guess would depend on whether the preboil gravity was reached. If not the beer will probably just be a little lower in ABV.

Latest posts

Back