Sparge by resoaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTDoug

Reaction score
I want to try a partial mash but I want to minimize the mess, so I am wondering if there is a good reason why sparging cannot be accomplished by simply submerging the mashed grain bag into a new pot of hot clean water and then adding that water to the wort?

I'm just thinking that raining water on the grain bag is like a drip coffee maker, where re-submerging the grains in clean water is like a French press - both make coffee, with the latter being better.

Hook'em,
Doug

where's the sparge? the Sparge is the second rinse, the mash is the first.
Steeping grains id very common, but why not step them in the wort it's self.

also the temperature is CRUCIAL

ahh or are you saying AFTER steeping the grains, adding them to a clean 160F pot of water?

good question.

I don't know the answer

Sorry, to clarify I meant I want to mash the base grains in 2 gallons of water or whatever I need in a 5 gallon pot for 30-45 min. Next, instead of using a collander or pouring water over the grain bag to sparge the grains, I want to have another pot of hot water that I dip the mashed grains in to wash off the sugars and then pour the contents of that pot into the "master wort."

UTDoug said:
I want to try a partial mash but I want to minimize the mess, so I am wondering if there is a good reason why sparging cannot be accomplished by simply submerging the mashed grain bag into a new pot of hot clean water and then adding that water to the wort?

I'm just thinking that raining water on the grain bag is like a drip coffee maker, where re-submerging the grains in clean water is like a French press - both make coffee, with the latter being better.

Hook'em,
Doug

What you are thinking of doing is called "Batch Sparging". It'll work.

Sweet, thanks for the feedback everyone.

I didn't think there was a reason it wouldn't work but when all the references to sparging mentioned carefully pouring water over the grains I figured there could be another piece to the puzzle besides just the rinsing factor.

Now, I figure "batch sparging" and cooling my wort by adding refridgerated water will shave some extra steps from next batch.

Hook'em,
Doug

Back