sparge arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosper123

Reaction score
Want to make a sparge arm for my gravity system I am putting together. Found an old all metal sprinker head which should be perfect (didn't trust a shower head with 160-170 degree water).

Not sure where to get the parts to build a arm that would work. Want something I can connect to the outside of the ball valve, ideally with a quick disconnect. Was looking on the bargain fittings website and the quick disconnects were many and foreign looking. Figured they would look like the ones on my air compresser, so not sure which ones to get.

Alternatively I could go with tubing I've been told. But I couldn't find anything at Lowes or Home depot which would withstand that heat.

Any advice and/or links would be appreciated.

I guess first question is: What kind of metal is the sprinkler head made of? Most are NOT going to be food grade. Idk about you, but to me heavy metal poisoning isn't worth saving a few bucks.

As far as tubing, since it's gravity fed, you won't want to concoct a rotating sparge because the pressure in a gravity system likely won't sustain the rotation for long if at all. Some of the best I've seen were rings of copper tubing with holes in them.

Similar to this: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/rigid-copper-sparge-arm.html

Dang, didn't even think of making one out of copper. Holy crap the limits of my imagination. Thanks hopsjunkie I appreciate the benefit of your wisdom.

Are there any preparations that I need to make with copper? Like for brass the hydrogen perozide and vingegar wash? Or is it already ok to use?

I made a simple one out of cpvc and some hi temp tubing. Works great if you dont want to mess with copper.

Just throwing that out there....

Are there any preparations that I need to make with copper? Like for brass the hydrogen perozide and vingegar wash? Or is it already ok to use?

Brass usually has lead in it, hence the recommendation for pickling the surface. For straight copper, no pickling required. Once you've got all the holes drilled, give it a soap and water cleaning and you'll be good to go...

Cheers!

Dang, didn't even think of making one out of copper. Holy crap the limits of my imagination. Thanks hopsjunkie I appreciate the benefit of your wisdom.

No problem. I've reade way too many forum posts and seen waaay too many builds, so I attribute it to everyone else. :mug:

What about food grade silicone tubing? At the end you can create a copper "shower" conflaberation. So not only is it removable/movable but safe.

The copper isn't an issue it's easy enough to cut and while I'm experienced at sweating and joining pipes don't even really see a need her it won't be under much pressure. Going to go with copper for sure, easy enough to form and work with. Thanks guys.

Back