New sparge arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcwalsh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted a sparge arm for my mash keggle but could not find anything that would screw into the 1/2"(mistake) NPT fitting. Last night I decided to make my own with some pipe I had left over from a recent hot water heater install. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_024447155.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220324_024447155.MP.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220324_024515984.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220324_024515984.MP.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20220324_024844034.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220324_024844034.NIGHT.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I like it just fine. Although, I don't use a sparge arm. I just put a piece of foil on top of the grain with a bunch of holes pushed through it with the tip of a kitchen knife.

I had a couple thoughts. First, that's 1/2" NPT and not 3/4 unless I'm blind. Second, I personally don't like sparging systems that rain water down on the grain, but only because it's not necessary and it perpetuates the misapprehension that sparging requires it. Third, it will work just fine.

I had a couple thoughts. First, that's 1/2" NPT and not 3/4 unless I'm blind. Second, I personally don't like sparging systems that rain water down on the grain, but only because it's not necessary and it perpetuates the misapprehension that sparging requires it. Third, it will work just fine.

My senement, exactly.
Even the foil is just a precaution. If your water is going in slow enough and you have a good two or 3 inches of water above your grain bed, everything will be fine. All you're trying to do is stop channeling and that's very easy as long as the grain bed is floating.

If you wanted to vary the height you could put some silicone tubing on it to bring it lower. I have a circular manifold that I do that with. The holes face up though and it sits on the grain bed. I use those butterfly orings on it so that the hose is easier to get off and clean it.

If you didn't want to do that and keep it where it is, if you put a union on it, you'd be able to tighten up the threads and keep it horizontal easier.

It looks like it should work fine. As others have mentioned, I like to be able to have some adjustment to minimize splashing. I use a product called Lockline and have it set up with a cam lock fitting for easy removal. I use the same arm in both my 10 gal HERMS rig and my 5 gal BIAB
Lockline.jpg

Back