Soybeans in beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a type of Taoist elixir alcoholic "beer" (term being used loosley..) not really sure how great it will taste but at some point in the near future may venture into it. What caught my eye searching around for proper ingredients, I noticed a few articles on beer being made with mostly soybeans in Japan. I couldn't find any actual recipes or instruction but how can this be done?

I would assume that to use soy you would have to press out all the oils and dry. For actual conversion I would think I would have to mash with base malts, but I dunno?

The rest of the recipe I have so far consists of Brown rice, Wheat, Barley, White rice, Green Tea, and Seaweed.... Sound yummy huh? lol :rolleyes:

Maybe some real wassabi would give it a little kick.

There are several examples of Japanese happoshu that use soy in lieu of malt. I know both Kirin and Asahi have commercial examples. I personally haven't had them. I think they saccharify the soy by addition of amylase, β-glucanase, and pullulanase. Although, you could, of course, use koji as one would do for soy sauce. If you search the patent databases, you might get an idea of the conditions used, e.g. here's a patent from Sapporo where it looks like they've actually malted the soybeans.

For the beans, not sure but I would assume you could use a cereal cooker to gelatinize the starch then add them to mash, like you would do with rice.

There is also a very excellent craft brewery out of Nagoya, Japan called Kinshachi which makes two lagers with miso - the base is still malt, but you get a nice miso flavor as well.

2nd and 3rd bottle from the left on this page: Kinshachi Beer

Kinshachi Nagoya Red Miso Lager
Kinshachi Okazaki Hatcho Miso Lager

Latest posts

Back