Southern Tier Pumking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought 6 bottles tonight. I'll be trying one tomorrow. A friend told me it has a completely different taste than previous years and not in a good way. Maybe it was good I didn't buy a case right away. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow.

The main thing I remember about last year's (the first I had from ST) was that it tasted like pie crust... And I mean that in a good way... Will keep an eye out for it around these parts...

I just bought 6 bottles tonight. I'll be trying one tomorrow. A friend told me it has a completely different taste than previous years and not in a good way. Maybe it was good I didn't buy a case right away. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow.

I hope this isn't true, pumking is one of my favorites. I love it on tap.

ok, I had the 2011 Pumking last night. I was very disappointed. The aroma is close to what I remember from last years. but the taste and mouth feel really fall short. there is no body or creaminess to the beer and almost has a sour character. The color was a lot lighter and more clear from what I remember. It tastes a lot more like other pumpkin beers I have tried and not the stand out it was last year. 2010 Pumking was my favorite beer of the year so I was very excited to get it again. Unfortunately it didnt live up.

I probably cant get this beer ,but shipyard smashed pumpkin was very good. Pumpkin head was like cola. Im thinking pumpkin is only good in higher abv's.The more i try them, im making one higher gravity this time my other two were just ok.Same as how i feel about them commercially although i have not tried lots of them the ones i did were not good.Hopefully i get a chance to try some decent ones being hoping more i make one im impressed with.

ok, I had the 2011 Pumking last night. I was very disappointed. The aroma is close to what I remember from last years. but the taste and mouth feel really fall short. there is no body or creaminess to the beer and almost has a sour character. The color was a lot lighter and more clear from what I remember. It tastes a lot more like other pumpkin beers I have tried and not the stand out it was last year. 2010 Pumking was my favorite beer of the year so I was very excited to get it again. Unfortunately it didnt live up.

I've had 3 bottles of this year's version and I would disagree. I DO agree that it seems to be a bit drier than last year, but the aroma and taste are still fantastic. I know for a fact (Friends with ST employees) that they've had problems in the past with the consistency of batches for this brew.

Last year I bought two cases during the course of the fall. One was WAY off and not Pumking, and the other was spot on. The case I just bought is excellent, so I wouldn't necessarily go by just one review. My 2 cents :mug:

The only time I've tried their pumpkin beer was last year, when SWMBO and I tried on tap. We both had the exact same reaction..."It's like drinking a Yankee Candle!"

man, what a let down. Aftering hearing so much about this beer for years, i finally made the trip to pick up a couple bottles. Cracked one open for the first time today, and its not good at all.

mine also had zero head, even with a aggresive pour. Other video reviews have head. My aroma is more of a faint peanut butter, not pumpkin pie or pie crust or vanilla

I've had 3 bottles of this year's version and I would disagree. I DO agree that it seems to be a bit drier than last year, but the aroma and taste are still fantastic. I know for a fact (Friends with ST employees) that they've had problems in the past with the consistency of batches for this brew.

Last year I bought two cases during the course of the fall. One was WAY off and not Pumking, and the other was spot on. The case I just bought is excellent, so I wouldn't necessarily go by just one review. My 2 cents :mug:

why would they still distribute the batches they knew were not consistent and were off? its an expensive beer

why would they still distribute the batches they knew were not consistent and were off? its an expensive beer

It's a great question man. The first year the beer came out, they weren't doing as well as they are now. You know how much 200 bbl costs to dump down the drain? I don't think they would do that nowadays because of their good reputation; I was stating that I know it happened in the past.

Had another bottle tonight, and it's awesome.

well by distributing a beer that was off quality; i know i wont be it any more this year, or probably any other year. i know they brew it multiple times and bottle multiple times a year but i dont want to spend $7 per bottle on a chance

I'm the friend that govenrkc was talking about.. I tasted NO pie crust at all, just very brash spices (literally liquid potpourri). I got mine at the same place that he got his, so maybe a bad batch/case? I do know the bottle date on it was 3 days before I purchased it if that might have anything to do with it..

Just tried this years offering and while it's a pretty decent pumpkin beer, it's definitely not the Pumking I've had before.

Not nearly as sweet as in years past, and there's almost no vanilla in it, just the spices.

Maybe my clone will come out somewhere inbetween this years and last.

Wish I would have read these reviews before. I just bought a bottle during lunch to try this weekend. Maybe I should have picked up the Weyerbacher. And they weren't carrying DFH's Punkin'. Anyone find that one yet this year?

First Pumking and first pumpkin beer last night. I thought it was gross. Very interesting the first few sips but man, when I read "Yankee Candle" on this thread, it was like Ah! Exactly!

i just picked up some DFH Punkin here in charlotte. it's chilling in the fridge now, tonight or tomorrow when i have a chance to sample it i'll post my thoughts.

i just picked up some DFH Punkin here in charlotte. it's chilling in the fridge now, tonight or tomorrow when i have a chance to sample it i'll post my thoughts.

Punkin is ok, Smashed pumkin by shipyard was pretty good, Pumking from last year was excellent! I haven't tried this year's batch yet.

I passed up a 6'er of DFH Punkin for two bombers of this because it was so damn good lsat year. You're all breaking my heart here. I haven't opened either one and will be saving one until after my wife has the baby in Jan.

xsists - What was your bottled date

i just had a 22 ouncer of this last weekend. I was obsessed with this beer last year, one of my hands down favorite beers ever. This years batch had the similar smell but that was where it ended, this batch is nothing more than a pale shadow of last years batch.

It was strong and had me buzzed after a 22 ounce bottle but it felt wrong.
Watery mouthfeel, little lingering flavor, and a lot of disappointment.

A shame, such a good beer last year.

There are really good versions of this year's batch out also. I've been getting Pumking since the first year it was released, and I've gone through a case in the last several weeks and it's delicious. It's a little dryer than other years, but the aroma is still bangin' and it's the same pumpkin pie in a glass flavor. Buying another case tonight after work.

I was getting ready to grab a sixer of ST pumking this weekend. Guess I'll try something else.

Right. Hmm. What could we possibly do with a phone number? There's got to be something...

yeah, i was just saying i much rather send an email than call to tell them i think some of their batches of pumking taste horrible. Im sure they already know, they taste all batches.

i just thought it was strange they dont list an email address

There are really good versions of this year's batch out also. I've been getting Pumking since the first year it was released, and I've gone through a case in the last several weeks and it's delicious. It's a little dryer than other years, but the aroma is still bangin' and it's the same pumpkin pie in a glass flavor. Buying another case tonight after work.

Can you post the bottle dates of the good batches you have had? My terrible batch was bottled 8/16

Can you post the bottle dates of the good batches you have had? My terrible batch was bottled 8/16

Mine that I'm drinking at this moment that tastes really good, was bottled on 8/17.

Although there have been a lot of bad reviews, I had high hopes for this. Took a couple sips and I'll be dumping this one. Very disappointing. I don't even think it's drinkable. Hope my pumpkin ale comes out better than this.

my bottles have no bottle date on them, i guess you need to check the case at the store when you buy it

my bottles have no bottle date on them, i guess you need to check the case at the store when you buy it

No they print them on the bottle itself. Look closely near the govt. warning. That's where mine was printed.

I've sampled 3 bottles of this years brew. The first bottle was nothing compared to last year's batch. We thought it was a fluke. Had another bottle last week and it was fantastic. Very reminiscent of the pumpkin beer I loved last year.

Cracked open the 3rd and it was just like the first...par at best.

1st and 3rd were purchased in Syracuse, NY.
2nd was purchased at the brewery...

I've sampled 3 bottles of this years brew. The first bottle was nothing compared to last year's batch. We thought it was a fluke. Had another bottle last week and it was fantastic. Very reminiscent of the pumpkin beer I loved last year.

Cracked open the 3rd and it was just like the first...par at best.

1st and 3rd were purchased in Syracuse, NY.
2nd was purchased at the brewery...

do you know the bottling dates on them by chance?

Latest posts

Back