Southern Hemisphere Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzyfool

Reaction score
Wanted to get some advice for hop additions/amts for a hoppy saison I'm doing. Have some Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy on hand that I definitely want to use. Debating not doing a bittering addition since Nelson and Galaxy are both high AA% and would add some low IBUs at 15 mins and during the hop stand.

4 gallon batch
1.060 OG
7 lb Belgian Pilsner
1 lb Rye
1 lb Wheat Malt

60 min mash at 148

75 min boil
-15 mins - .5 oz Nelson .5 oz Galaxy
-Turn off (30 min hop stand) - 1 oz Nelson
-Start of chill - .5 oz Nelson .5 oz Galaxy
-Possibly dry-hop with both as well depending on how it smells/tastes in primary

Yeast - Either Wyeast 3711 or White Labs 568 Belgian Saison Blend

Anyone have any thoughts on the yeast, hop schedule, lack of bittering hop?

Thanks!

3711 is great. From reading I did before making my Saison, 3711 seems like best saison yeast as far as not getting stuck and fermenting to low FG, and it quietly went over 8% before i knew it. The knock on 3711 is that other strains (like 3724) have "more Belgian funk", but my Saison with 3711 has a great funk after a month bottled.

That hop blend looks delicious. I've used Nelson by themselves, and REALLY liked! Galaxy is one of the ones Ive looked at combining with Nelson for more complexity in next IPA, so im interested to hear how this turns out.

If you want lower IBU finishing hop to pair with, why not continue with the fruit bomb route you are on, and choose something like Hull Melon, Belma, Hallerau Blanc, or even Mandarina Bavaria?

"Fruit Salad Saison"

As for lack of bittering hop, I dont know about that since ive never tried, but Nelson should work if you want to put in beginning of boil

Great advice! Yeah I think 3711 is the way to go. Don't want to risk a stuck fermentation.

I haven't used any of the hops you mentioned but they sound great reading tasting notes of them. Might go with Hallertau Blanc or Mandarina. Thanks!

Back