South Central Pa Bulk Grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like an issue arose with the MD grain buy; 2-row was put in as a replacement for Pilsner. WTF? :mad:

I'm in need of a sack of Pilsner (and Firebrewer might as well.)
Here's the Specs on both grains.

Moisture Protein Extract CG

% Max Color L Total Max Dry Min
Canadian Malting
Superior 2-row pilsen 4.1% 1.4-1.9 11.0 80.0
Premium 2-row pilsen 4.1% 1.5-2.1 12.5 80.0

Ger Best Pilsen 4.0% 1.0-2.0 11.0 81.5

I have always preferred a european continental pils malt when brewing my Helles and other german lagers. I'm going to brew two identical batches with only changing the pils malt to see how the beers compare.

Heh, I don't know if I could order quite that much, but I could order at least 2-3 bags or so if there's enough interest for the new pallet.
Sorry to say their isn't enough interest in getting a second pallet.

I'll need checks sent this week to place the order early next week.

You can count me in for sure. It was a great deal last year!
Brian,

Sorry you missed this grain buy. As I mentioned before you are first in line for the next one probably around Sept. Any luck job hunting?

Mike

Mike, Thanks for putting this together again. I really appreciate your time and effort.
Don't forget, brew day for the first barrel project is March 7, as early as you can make it.

Mike, Thanks for putting this together again. I really appreciate your time and effort.
Don't forget, brew day for the first barrel project is March 7, as early as you can make it.
I'll be there!

Hey Mike Just wanted to thank you again for the grain buy AND the excellent brews. Crystal clear Helles, hoppy pale and delicious wheat. Oh yeah and thanks for the centennial hops Best, Charlie

Hey Mike Just wanted to thank you again for the grain buy AND the excellent brews. Crystal clear Helles, hoppy pale and delicious wheat. Oh yeah and thanks for the centennial hops Best, Charlie
Was nice to meet you Charlie. Maybe next time we get together we can compare those two Helles I made yesterday? See how the German Pils compares to the Can Pils. The Helles was fermenting away in the chest freezer by 10:00 last night, that was the one I finished around 1:30. The other one was starting to ferment this morning in the basement.

Was nice to meet you Charlie. Maybe next time we get together we can compare those two Helles I made yesterday? See how the German Pils compares to the Can Pils. The Helles was fermenting away in the chest freezer by 10:00 last night, that was the one I finished around 1:30. The other one was starting to ferment this morning in the basement.

My Vienna was bubbling away in the "cold coal room" in the basement. I want to do 2 r 3 more lagers before this weather turns warm. Would like to try those Pls in a few months.

Brian,

Sorry you missed this grain buy. As I mentioned before you are first in line for the next one probably around Sept. Any luck job hunting?

Mike

Ahh, no biggie. Shoulda had my stuff together sooner. Yup, finally got a job!! The 7 months off wasn't too bad now that I can look back on it. I'm off to CT Sunday night for a week of training. I hope there are some good beer bars there. Count me in on the next purchase for sure. I think me and a buddy will prob get 5 or 6 sacks.

Ahh, no biggie. Shoulda had my stuff together sooner. Yup, finally got a job!! The 7 months off wasn't too bad now that I can look back on it. I'm off to CT Sunday night for a week of training. I hope there are some good beer bars there. Count me in on the next purchase for sure. I think me and a buddy will prob get 5 or 6 sacks.
Glad to hear you landed a job, it gets a little nerve racking being off too long. Last time I got laid off I was only off about 3 months. After a month and a half I was ready to go back to work.

BTW this years regional National's for the AHA comp is in Philly at Yard's brewing company. They might need some stewards to help out, you might want to consider helping. It's the weekend of April 17 to 19. I'll probably head down Fri by taking the Train from Lancaster to Philly. I'm going to stay overnight Fri and head back Sat evening. Would be a good way to see how the competitions are run.

Hey thanks again for organizing this Warrior.
Look for another one around Sept. I'll try and meet you at Olde New York. My next trip up there will probably be in April sometime. Keep me posted on this years mushroom crop, I'll make a trip up if you know where to pick some good shrooms and don't mind me going along "to your secrect hunting grounds".

Back