Sous Vide BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's quite a few people doing this now. There's a facebook group called Sous Vide Beer Brewing (link in my profile but not sure if ok to post it here).

I use an external heat source (induction hob) for getting to strike temperature and then hold using the sous vide device. Its perfectly able to ramp temperatures that are not too far from each other (beta/alpha/mash out). Obviously the boil is done using external heat.

If you are interested in this then please run by our group.

What do you think would be the max volume of a full volume Mash BIAB that the Anova could handle?

A lot of people on our group (Sous Vide Beer Brewing on facebook) are doing batches up to 5 gallons with no problem at all even without insualtion. Beyond that the constraints of thermo-dynamics kick in.

Larger cooler type mash tuns can be used due to their insulation and shape. With a 15 gallon stock-pot style kettle its possible to get to strike temperature but the device is sitting high up. They tend to fire horizontally so after doughing in the temperature in the mash starts to stratify. That means stirring and application of external heat. At that point the whole point of doing it has been lost. However for small-batch brewers and people doing standard 5 gallon/full-volume BIAB it really works well and takes a lot of messing around and time off the brew day.

11 gallon Bayou Classic with basket plus bag, wrapped in Reflectix. Will it mash with the Anova?

In response to a question from me, another user on our facebook group posted:

"
Mine is an 11 gallon pot. This brew had 7.5 gallons of water and 11 pounds of grain. Handles it well.
"

He wasn't using insulation and was outdoors as you can see in his photo.
11gal.jpg

Hey koolvik91!

I choose to keep the Anova out off the wort for two reasons.

1. I didn't want risk ruining it with gooey wort.
2. I think I read somewhere that the mash needs to soak and not be constantly circulating.

I did another brew day without the sous vide and just set the pot directly in the warmed up cooler with the lid closed. It wasn't near as exact and I had to add boiling get water to the cooler to keep the temp up above 150. I was constantly monitoring it. With the sous vide it was set it and forget it. However, the setup time on the sous vide bath may not be worth the effort.

Opinion on the question if in or out of the bag is split on our group. One user does all his batches inside the bag with no additional filter (say a hop spider) He insists that he's never had an issue. Nevertheless most of us are outies not innies.

Opinion on the question if in or out of the bag is split on our group. One user does all his batches inside the bag with no additional filter (say a hop spider) He insists that he's never had an issue. Nevertheless most of us are outies not innies.

Sweet! Think I'm gonna have to give this a try.

I bought my wife an Anova for Christmas which she loves. I would like to try a BIAB mash with it but I need to wait until she is out of town on business.

Just wanted to add that you can also use the Anova for ferm control in the winter months, especially when doing sours/saisons and other beers that like to ferment warm. I did a number of saisons, setting the fermenter in a water bath controlled by the Anova and finished them nice and hot. Worked great.

I'm new to home brewing and decided to bypass extracts and go straight to BIAB.

My wife and I bought a sous vide machine a few years back. We used it a couple of times then it got stored away.

When researching BIAB, I read a lot about temperature control and the sous vide immediately came to mind. I watched a few videos of people using the machine directly in the mash, but the sous vide is designed to heat water to a stable temp forming a bath to cook.

So, this is the approach I took. After, adding my grain to the brew bag, I moved it to a sous vide bath in a cooler. Here is a pic:

uc

The logistics involved were a bit more complicated than the photo implies.

As soon as I read about what a sous vide machine does, I thought about using it to control the temperature in a BIAB mash. But, if you just stick the sous vide wand in the mash tun, you'd end up with a sticky mess that would be hard to clean. So the idea with your setup is to keep the sugary mash away from the sous vide heater altogether? You've put the grain inside a metal pot for good heat transfer. How long does it take to reach your mash temperature? I assume you still have to stir to get uniform temperature inside the mash tun?
Do you set the sous vide at the final mash temperature, or do you set it higher initially for dough in, then dial it down?

As soon as I read about what a sous vide machine does, I thought about using it to control the temperature in a BIAB mash. But, if you just stick the sous vide wand in the mash tun, you'd end up with a sticky mess that would be hard to clean. So the idea with your setup is to keep the sugary mash away from the sous vide heater altogether? You've put the grain inside a metal pot for good heat transfer. How long does it take to reach your mash temperature? I assume you still have to stir to get uniform temperature inside the mash tun?
Do you set the sous vide at the final mash temperature, or do you set it higher initially for dough in, then dial it down?

My idea of what a sous vide machine does for you is let you fill the kettle a few hours ahead of your starting time and have the water at strike temp when you have the grain ready to go into the kettle while you sleep or go off to work. With BIAB you can have the grain milled very finely which then gets you a fast conversion. Once conversion is complete the temperature of the mash isn't critical as all you are really accomplishing is extracting the color and flavors. That means that it isn't necessary to keep the sous vide machine in the kettle getting all sticky. I now mostly mash for 30 minute instead of 60 and could cut that to 20 if I am in a hurry.

If you want to see how long conversion takes for your system, get a bottle of iodine and use it to test for starch left in the particle of grain (not the wort, just grain) at various times. A tiny amount of the grain and a couple drops of iodine will tell you if you have starch left to convert. People will worry about the enzymes continuing to convert the dextrines to short chain sugars and making a more fermentable wort if the temperature falls but that isn't my experience at all.

Back