Quantcast

Souring in Guinness clone ???

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

brad.maynes

Reaction score
Okay, so I have looked at a number of Guinness-clone type recipes and many of them suggest souring some beer and adding it back in post-boil. These tend to suggest the terrifying (to me) method of leaving beer in a bowl for a week and then freezing.

This seems (to me) like a really good way to badly contaminate a batch of beer. Does anyone have any experience with this method, or other souring methods? Is this really a necessary step to get a good Guinness clone?

Thanks in advance,

BLM

paranode

Reaction score
You can also use acid malt to achieve a similar result without any risk.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
paranode said:
You can also use acid malt to achieve a similar result without any risk.
Yep, that's what I use. Check the recipe for my Irish Stout under my avatar. I wouldn't use more than that amount.

john from dc

Reaction score
the recipes i've seen say to leave the beer out for a week, but then to boil or at least heat pasteurize the soured beer before adding it back in. that seems much safer than just freezing it.

greggor

Reaction score
Just did this one myself. let about 20 oz of the sweet wort sit out for a week; very sour smelling, then boiled for 45 minutes (the boil stunk up the whole house). Just added 6 oz to 3 gallons of nearly completely fermented beer (1.012). I will be carbing it and tasting this weekend. I'll post how it compares with the real thing,

I left 2 gallons finish without the sour wort addition to compare the difference. mine is all grain using the classic proportions 70% pale 20% flaked barley and 10% roast ( I added 2 oz of black patent to make the SRM right because it seemed a little low)

Want2Brew

Reaction score
Just did this one myself. let about 20 oz of the sweet wort sit out for a week; very sour smelling, then boiled for 45 minutes (the boil stunk up the whole house). Just added 6 oz to 3 gallons of nearly completely fermented beer (1.012). I will be carbing it and tasting this weekend. I'll post how it compares with the real thing,

I left 2 gallons finish without the sour wort addition to compare the difference. mine is all grain using the classic proportions 70% pale 20% flaked barley and 10% roast ( I added 2 oz of black patent to make the SRM right because it seemed a little low)

Any word on how this experiment came out? Thanks :mug:

Pete08

Reaction score
I made O'Flannagan's sour stout using the set aside wort with a few crushed grains to get it going. I boiled the sour wort as well before adding it to the fermenter. It is a very fine stout indeed!

Latest posts