Souring Beer in Secondary VS Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangfo5

Reaction score
Hey all!

I was wanting to know what one could expect to see by adding lacto brevis to a beer with no hops after primary fermentation has completed. I have had great luck adding lacto to beer before primary fermentation and have had it reach its terminal PH of around 3.4 within a matter of days.

I added lacto brevis to a beer after primary fermentation and a week later have not really noticed a real change. Does anyone here have experience adding lacto after primary in terms of performance and time?

Thanks!

It will take months if ever.

I have no experience with Brevis; maybe it will do it, but it will take a looooooog time. The alcohol inhibits it. You have also gotten less sugars for it to work on as most have been converted to alcohol.

I believe Brevis is Heterofermentative, which means it produces less lactic acid from sugars than other lacto strains. Hetero produces 1 part ethanol, 1 part lactic acid + CO2, whereas homofermmentative lacto bacteria produce 2 parts lactic acid from the sugars.

Back