Source for 10 gal round coolers in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdech

Reaction score
For those of you located in Canada (in particular Edmonton), do any of you know where I can get the 10 gal round coolers? I've scoured all the usual places (Walmart, Canadian tire, Campers Village, Wholesale sports etc.) and can't seem to find them anywhere. ANy help or tips on a source would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

I'm not in Canada (though I'm close), but I just had a hard time finding one myself. I checked two Targets, Lowe's, Sam's Club, two Dick's* and a Home Depot before finding one at a second Home Depot. olllllo said they aren't in season right now, which may be true... I found mine the day after I gave up looking and decided to use the 5 gal I had.

* PS dicks.com is not the website you want. Trust me.

I've seen them at Canadian Tire before, but not recently. You could try some sporting goods suppliers as well, they will sometimes have them but they tend to be more expensive.

The only places I've heard of them being around here (Montreal) are at restaurant/outdoor supply shops.

I bought a 60L Igloo and switched to batch/continuous sparging. Screw paying $120 for a MLT (without fittings).

S

I decided not to go with a round cooler for cost reasons as well. I got two 48QT rectangular coleman coolers for $20 each. I both batch and fly sparge and the rectangular cooler works great - I get mid 80's efficiency.

Thanks for the replies. This hunt for a cooler isn't for a mash tun. Rather it is for an HLT. Eventually I would like to have an electric HLT with temperature control and as such I was looking for a round cooler. The biggest issue I see for the rectangular coolers for this purpose (i.e. HLT) are that there is a lot of deadspace at the bottom of the cooler that would be difficult to get out. Not to mention that if I ever do install a heating element, the round cooler would make it easier to keep the element covered with water (to prevent burnout) and also to possibly rig up a stirrer to keep it well mixed for temperature control.

Cheers,

Greg

I added a copper dip tube to mine to solve the dead-space issue, however if you want to heat with an electrical element I agree that cylindrical would be better. They'll probably be easier to find when the weather really warms up.

Well here in Phoenix, they are out almost year round ;) but they are a seasonal item in most parts of North America.

Many stores have them in storage, so you might want to talk to a manager and see if they'll dig one up.

Memorial Day in the US is coming up so I image they'll start appearing as soon as you start to see flip flops and spaghetti tops.

Hey Greg,

Not that I know a local source for 10gallon coolers, but if you want a good source for brewing equipment advice, come to the Alley Kat tonight at 7:30 for the Homebrewers guild meeting, probably can find someone there that can help you

A square cooler should work fine for an electric HLT. As soon as I see one on sale, it's my first step towards 10 gallon brews. I'm not worried about burning out the element. Once the water is up to temperature, I'll just kill the element. The cooler will loose little heat. As far as a stirrer goes, I don't think it's really necessary, you should get lots of turbulence from the heating.

I looked for months here in Calgary for the 10 gal coolers. They were nearly impossible to find at a decent price. Big tool shops, like House of Tools, carry them here in Calgary, but they are ridiculously over-priced (close to $100). I lucked out and found 3 in my local grocery store on clearance ($35 each).

Home Depot and Rona might carry them seasonally (i.e. summer), but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think mail order or eBay is going to be your best bet.

For those of you located in Canada (in particular Edmonton), do any of you know where I can get the 10 gal round coolers? I've scoured all the usual places (Walmart, Canadian tire, Campers Village, Wholesale sports etc.) and can't seem to find them anywhere. ANy help or tips on a source would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi!

I'm in Calgary and recently went out looking for such an item. I bought mine from Home Hardware in Okotokes.

You can get the 10 gal and 5 gal from Home Hardware, usually you have to order the 10 gal in.

I've only found the 5 gal at Homedepot in Canada (if you know someone driving to the US, have them pick you one up).

You *might* be able to find a 10 gal at a Rona, if it was a former Totem store. They tend to cater to contractors more.

Back