Sour Swap #3: Funkadelic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My box is packed up and ready to go. Just waiting on my recipient to come back from vacation.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406573093.841732.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1406573123.112340.jpg

Such an awesome package from canti! I've never had any of them and I can't wait to try them! I love the JK glassware! Thanks so much man.. What's the homebrew???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Glad to see it got there safe - I had a mini panic attack when I saw an exception on FedEx but then I read that it was you rerouting it to a store for pick up. The homebrew is our berliner batch one (Berlin Calling on untappd). Hope you enjoy it all!

A day later, but shipped mine off today. Incoming to Mario land, where everything is bigger.

Holy crap. Why did I think that it was August 1st? I guess I'm super late. I apologize like crazy. I could have sworn that I had until the 1st.

I may send an extra box of fun to my recipient. Going on vacation on Saturday. Maybe I'll pick a Lil something up for him.

Observation in drinking sour beers. Seems that the alcohol content and the effect on my body are disproportionate. Anybody else notice this? Often much delayed from imbibing the sour beer, I will perceive that I have perhaps over indulged when (in most instance at least), I have not. My theory is that the bugs are fermenting in my gut and making more alcohol. I don't know if that is true or not. Seems more pronounced with some beers, and non existent with the pasteurized sours.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Got a killer box..I think from medicmang.

dhaL4rH.jpg

HZL4JCh.jpg

tp06dAU.jpg

Already started with a little #properglassware in the sick Jackie O can glass.
So excited for all of these (especially the sour cherry porter!!). Thanks so much!

Awesome, man. Glad they made it safely. Enjoy. Sorry it was so late. I swear up and down that I remember reading that they needed shipped by the first. I'm headed to Florida. Expect a fun berr in the mail as an apology.

I saw that you guys get Anderson Valley, but I saw the gose and bought it on a whim, so I sent it.

The Chomolungma glass is neat. The owner's mother never smoked a day in her life, but died of lung cancer. Owners brother climbed Mt Everest as a charity to raise money for a lung cancer foundation. For the first 4 years of Chomolungma production at the brewpub, all of the money went to that charity as well. We just had Chomolungma Day a month or so ago and raised a bunch of money again. Chomolungma means Mt Everest in Tibetan.

Enjoy the berce. Prost!

Certainly no need for an apology box but I sure as hell won't turn away beer. We do get Anderson Valley but I have not seen the gose around here...I think I'll be grabbing that in a minute since I just finished some yard work and that is the perfect time for a gose.

That's a neat story on the Chomolungma - always love seeing craft beer give to worthy charities. Thanks again!

I'll be back on Saturday. You can totally send it soon though. I have someone watching the cats and rats. I just won't get to it until Saturday. Thanks for holding on for me.

Trippelhazard makes a mean Brett saison. Just cracked on with my wife and it's basically everything you want in a Brett saison. I'm going to bug him for the recipe.

Trippelhazard makes a mean Brett saison. Just cracked on with my wife and it's basically everything you want in a Brett saison. I'm going to bug him for the recipe.

Awe!! Stop it! :) thats too kind. I thought it was pretty good. I will have no problem getting that recipe to you.

I'm interested as well. I recently brewed one that I'm waiting to funk up with Brett added in the kegs with a spunding valve. Dry hopped with sauvin. Not funky enough yet. Thinking about adding some extra fermentables.

In other news, killer side-trade box(es) from electrovision! 15 JK bottles including some fruit beers. Thanks a million!
TD

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well guys, it looks like I may be relocating to Portland, OR before then next Sour Swap begins! Lucky me (or lucky my next recipient).

5.25 ag recipe.
11#2row
3#flaked corn
#white wheat malt
#flaked wheat
Mashed at 148 for 90 minutes
Batch sparged.
90 minute boil.
1oz Magnum @60
.5 oz simcoe@30
Dry hop with 1oz Amarillo for 7 days.
Fermented @ 65 for 14 days.
I used french saison yeast ( w yeast 3711) primary.
I used the brett b in secondary. Then bulk aged for 90 days.

5.25 ag recipe.
11#2row
3#flaked corn
#white wheat malt
#flaked wheat
Mashed at 148 for 90 minutes
Batch sparged.
90 minute boil.
1oz Magnum @60
.5 oz simcoe@30
Dry hop with 1oz Amarillo for 7 days.
Fermented @ 65 for 14 days.
I used french saison yeast ( w yeast 3711) primary.
I used the brett b in secondary. Then bulk aged for 90 days.

I've got a saison as I mentioned either here or another thread with B & C added to secondary. Mine are less than 90 days old with minimal funk so far, just tasted last night. Probably about 6-8 week in secondary. Did you dry hop before the Brett was added? Sounds like yes. What temp did you keep it at for the secondary? What was the SG before adding the Brett? I'm tasking because I'm considering adding some maltodextrin to mine, but I'm hoping I just need more patience.

Thanks for the recipe.

TD

^^ When you use a highly attenuative yeast like saison strains the brett won't generate funk until bottling. There is no sugar for it to consume, all it can do is transform the esters into other interesting compounds(my yakobson reading is out of date or I'd tell you the names). Pitch the brett, make sure you are at FG and then bottle...and wait. If you haven't read any of his dissertation or writings you should. Basically brett can create two very different(both pleasing) effects in beer, one by actually fermenting the beer(either partially or fully) and one by consuming the byproducts of a sacc fermentation. For whatever reason the latter seems to happen better in the bottle.

Either way doing what hazzard did will produce a very good beer with interesting yeast character, I can attest.

^^ When you use a highly attenuative yeast like saison strains the brett won't generate funk until bottling. There is no sugar for it to consume, all it can do is transform the esters into other interesting compounds(my yakobson reading is out of date or I'd tell you the names). Pitch the brett, make sure you are at FG and then bottle...and wait. If you haven't read any of his dissertation or writings you should. Basically brett can create two very different(both pleasing) effects in beer, one by actually fermenting the beer(either partially or fully) and one by consuming the byproducts of a sacc fermentation. For whatever reason the latter seems to happen better in the bottle.

Either way doing what hazzard did will produce a very good beer with interesting yeast character, I can attest.

This is what I discovered as well. If you do an all brett fermentation .you might as well have used 1056. You will get an extremely clean profile. The more you stress it out the more interesting flavors you will get. My secondary temp after brett rose a bit 70 I think it was. I also didn't notice much of a change in the beer till it was in the bottle for a few

I agree on the 100% Brett being not very funky.

I heard or read that bottling is dangerous because the Brett will continue to drop the SG over time and to use strong bottles. Odd that there are several commercial examples that have bottled with Brett without issue.

Anyways, not to digress too much, but here is what I did. I forget my grist, but was mostly pils, with 1-1.5# flaked rye and I think a half pound or less another specialty malt plus acid malt to adjust pH only. Did a four or five step mash following schedule in the farmhouse ales book. Fermented with saison blend yeast from giga (which is both the French and Belgian strains combined). Fermented in my outdoor kitchen which got into low 90s (was cool temps that week), but mostly high 70s to mid 80s. After ten days, I placed it inside at room temps for two weeks adding Sauvin dry hops for last 5 days in primary. Cold crashed for a day or two, them racked into kegs, affixed with spunding valves. These have been at room temp now for 6-8 weeks est (need to keep better notes after primary fermentation!). Getting only a suggestion of a hint of Brett in one of the two kegs. I think my SG at kegging from memory was either 1.005 or 1.006. I think I will wait another month, taste and check gravity, and if stable, add some priming sugar and let it condition for 10 days with spunding valve off and keg sealed, to see where that takes it.

TD

You do want to leave the brett alone for a bit in secondary. It will form a pellicle over the beer while its working. It will eat up the longer chain compounds leftover. It is important not to disturb this layer while it does its thing.. ie no gravity readings. At bottling the brett will change more when you add those sugars.there is a seminar that chad yakobson did from crooked stave too. Look it up on YouTube. He gives a lot of great info. Its hard to swallow without a chemistry background but you will only gain from it

Thanks. I'll google or search you tube.

I mentioned its in a keg. So I could probably draw samples by pouring without disturbing the pellicle. Unfortunately, I have been guilty of moving the kegs a bit. I think I'll let them slumber in an out of the way corner for a couple of months.

Thanks

Back