Sour Swap #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Surly will be releasing their 100% Brett Pentagram this month. If the timing is right one of you lucky chaps will end up with a bottle of that in their box...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like Surly will be releasing their 100% Brett Pentagram this month. If the timing is right one of you lucky chaps will end up with a bottle of that in their box...

I wonder if any of that will make it to Illinois distribution

Sent from my H4X0r3D Nexus 7

Alright suckers, everyone should have their recipient's address. Make sure you ship before the end of the month! happy shopping!

this is going to be tough! all of my favorite sours come from my recipient's state. I've been working on a list of potential things to send and had to cross out half when I found out where it was going. It'll be good though, I still have the other half of the list :rockin:

Agreed with Doc. I am actually going to have to drive quite a distance to grab some of mine. Might have to wait until next week to go though.

OK,

Wanted to ask about how widely available goose island, the Bruery, and saint somewhere is in Colorado? I think two it lists as limited distro on seek a brew, and I'm trying to pack stuff that cannot be found there except by mail order if at all.

On to international brews, which I intend to avoid using, in FL there are a few which are widely available, and I assume that is also the case in CO, but may also apply to others putting together their boxes. In FL we get linedemans, Petrus, monks cafe, duchess du B., jacobins, rodenbacher. I'm not putting any of those into my box as I assume that they are commonly available, unless it's just as extras/add ons. I also assume the SN/RR Brux is widely available to all through SN distro.

trying to tap a resource in nearby GA for some Allagash and Westbrook.

Heard a rumor that jester king may be distro in FL, but need to check back. Most of the in state breweries don't bottle, keg only ( funky Buddha ). I'm looking into buying a keg and beer gun transfer into some bottles, but can't find distributors who sell those kegs in my area.

Aside from those I mentioned, sours are a rarity in FL

cigar city is most well known micro in FL, so count on some stuff from them in my case beyond the sours. I can't see that they make any true sour beers, except one-offs that are long gone.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

OK,

Wanted to ask about how widely available goose island, the Bruery, and saint somewhere is in Colorado? I think two it lists as limited distro on seek a brew, and I'm trying to pack stuff that cannot be found there except by mail order if at all.

On to international brews, which I intend to avoid using, in FL there are a few which are widely available, and I assume that is also the case in CO, but may also apply to others putting together their boxes. In FL we get linedemans, Petrus, monks cafe, duchess du B., jacobins, rodenbacher. I'm not putting any of those into my box as I assume that they are commonly available, unless it's just as extras/add ons. I also assume the SN/RR Brux is widely available to all through SN distro.

Heard a rumor that jester king may be distro in FL, but need to check back. Most of the in state breweries don't bottle, keg only ( funky Buddha ). I'm looking into buying a keg and beer gun transfer into some bottles, but can't find distributors who sell those kegs in my area.

cigar city is most well known micro in FL, so count on some stuff from them in my case beyond the sours. I can't see that they make any true sour beers, except one-offs that are long gone.

TD

The closer to Denver they are, the more likely the sisters of Goose Island will be available.

As for Jester King, Shelton Brothers do some distributing for them, so your best bet would be emailing their support to see who they distribute to near you, if any.

OK,

TD

I live in Denver so can't speak to anywhere else in CO. Goose island and bruery shelf beers are pretty common. St somewhere is more limited, but a few are available. As for these: lindemans, Petrus, monks cafe, duchess du B., jacobins, rodenbache - we get all of those in Denver, but the varieties in each brand are hit and miss. We don't get westbrook or allagash in Denver. I've seen SN Brux, but not recently.

Distro can be very different, even a little ways outside if Denver. Denver has started to see distro from Shelton Brothers (prairie, drie, fantome, cantillon, etc) but it is very very limited and, I think, not found outside Denver.

Edit: we get a small amount if jester king - some of the saisons, but few/none of the sours. And so far I've only seen it once.

Try using beermenus.com. Put in your recipients city and search the beers you're looking to get. Some areas are better for it than others, but it works well in collaboration with seekabrew, because of distribution around a state. For example, I know DrPhunk and I live in the same state, but there are qiute a fe beers that I get that he doesn't get because he's outside of the Chicagoland area. Seekabrew would show us as being the same, whereas with beermenus, you might get a better idea as to how far that beer might really be for them. None of these tools are perfect, but they can help narrow it down.

In the end, this swap isn't as strict on making sure none of the beers are in the same distro, but it's nice to try to make it something they couldn't otherwise get on their own.

My recipient is receiving a few localish and maybe one regional sour that I know doesn't distribute near his state.

I think it's great that some of us are researching distro/access of their recipient. When researching on beermenus or seekabrew, it's probably wise to investigate how close your recipient is to neighboring states as well.

I've been consulting fellow beer geeks in my recipients state to make sure my box is right on! I've seen some seekabrew blunders in the past

My recipient is receiving a few localish and maybe one regional sour that I know doesn't distribute near his state.

I think it's great that some of us are researching distro/access of their recipient. When researching on beermenus or seekabrew, it's probably wise to investigate how close your recipient is to neighboring states as well.

Great advice!.. I live in Maryland but am only a 20 minute drive to Delaware

Anyone shipping to Cali, WE get almost everything..
RR, Bruery*, Lost Abbey, Crooked Stave, Cisco, Goose island, JP, Dutchess, Rodenbach, Lindemans, lindermans, Liefmans, Boon, Petrus, Hansens, Tilquin, Cascade, some allagash, evil twin. ..I would shoot for locals to get it done..
(*)whoever has me please dont send me any bruery stuff..
Happy Hunting!
I'm done with my box, didnt have to check seekabrew either..

This may be a challenge. . My recipient gets everything

Sent from a happy little tree

Ditto here.

Neighboring state of GA gets Allagash stuff and Westbrook, but my contact in Atlanta is not going to be able to make any trips to FL until after the shipping deadline.

In other news, I found out that there are at least 4 microbreweries in FL making sours. However, at this point, none get bottled, and all sold through tasting room only: 7eventh Sun, Funky budda, Rapp, and Wakefield. Wakefield is doing a collaboration brew (January 2014) with stone that might see mass production and distro. Hopefully as these breweries grow, so will production and distribution. Funky Budda sells kegs and plans to begin bottling soon, looking toward finding where to buy a keg.

Onto the good news, CCB has their new seasonal Humidor series release called American sour. It says April release, but it may be out now. I'll need to check into getting some (a lot) of this. I hope I can get it before I have to ship.

Regardless, I have some good stuff to send on hand now, which might be hard to find for my recipient, and I'll fill out the box with other bonus stuff that I know cannot be found: CCB, Founders, Brooklyn local.

TD

Mine is gonna be tough but i'll make it happen. My favorite sour producer is in the same state and he's next to the state of another fine sour producer. Just hopingto get stuff he's never had

I know I'm untappd friends with some of you but maybe if everyone posts their untappd name the senders can look at what we've had? That could help too.. Just an idea

Mine is jcmcmullen

I just started my untapped account and honestly don't really use it.

I wanted to say that its confirmed, limited availability of Jester King here plus limited availability of Prairie via the local World Of Beer (which also sells package) , and also Evil Twin. So far can only see their Saisons. I think they have Black Metal on tap plus some other stuff. This is a promising sign.

I do have at least one sour on hand which I know is not distro in CO, plus several on the way.

TD

Are you guys ok with receiving 60oz of different sours from one brewery?

I'm fine with that too.

Side note on Colorado distro - Russian River does distro here, but it is hard to find their sours. Hopefully that makes it easier for some. :mug:

Are you guys ok with receiving 60oz of different sours from one brewery?

I find no issues with that.

I know I'm untappd friends with some of you but maybe if everyone posts their untappd name the senders can look at what we've had? That could help too.. Just an idea

Mine is jcmcmullen

Good thinking, mine's absoluthamm
Well it looks like everyone is hard at work here!
I'm passed my quota so far. 84oz today and I'm pretty sure he doesn't get any of it

I'm fine with that.... Mine is HOPhound1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

While we are at it, though I've only logged about 5 beers on it, my untapped is trickydikc. Yes somebody else had my handle so I did a switcheroo at the end.

I placed a special order at local mega mart liquor place for three cases of CCB humidor series American sour ale. Not sure when it'll be ready to pickup. Releases in April. Not sure if it'll be ready to pickup so probably won't be in time for deadline.
TD

I placed a special order at local mega mart liquor place for three cases of CCB humidor series American sour ale. Not sure when it'll be ready to pickup. Releases in April. Not sure if it'll be ready to pickup so probably won't be in time for deadline.
TD

Boss.

Also met up with my Atlanta contact and told him I was looking for some Allagash and Jester King sours and Westbrook Gose if he could find any. Probably won't see him again before the deadline so again, I'm going to go with what I have so far.

According to Where the wild beers are . com, and seekabrew, Brooklyn Brewery isn't available in CO, and it is listed as a sour beer. I had it long ago, but did not seem to recall it being sour. Maybe minimal funk. I bought a couple bottles today, one to try out, and if pucker worthy, will save it for the box.

Going to swing by the WOB and grab some funky saisons for me and the box in the next couple weeks.

So I should have legit 60+ oz sours and fill out the box with funky saisons and partial brett fermed brews that are not available to my recipient.

TD

Also met up with my Atlanta contact and told him I was looking for some Allagash and Jester King sours and Westbrook Gose if he could find any. Probably won't see him again before the deadline so again, I'm going to go with what I have so far.

According to Where the wild beers are . com, and seekabrew, Brooklyn Brewery isn't available in CO, and it is listed as a sour beer. I had it long ago, but did not seem to recall it being sour. Maybe minimal funk. I bought a couple bottles today, one to try out, and if pucker worthy, will save it for the box.

Going to swing by the WOB and grab some funky saisons for me and the box in the next couple weeks.

So I should have legit 60+ oz sours and fill out the box with funky saisons and partial brett fermed brews that are not available to my recipient.

TD

I don't think the Westbrook Gose has been released yet for this year, but Westbrook does have a bunch of funky/sour beers. I can confirm Brooklyn Brewery does not distribute to CO.

Latest posts

Back