sour smell during primary? (first wheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoross

Reaction score
I've never cared for wheat ales too much, which is why I've refrained from making one until now, but it came time to finally try it.

Recipe from PangeaDestructor on reddit. I think it's adapted from 21st amendment's watermelon wheat:
6lb white wheat, 4lb 2-Row, 8oz Carapils, 4oz flaked wheat, mash at 153 for 90 mins, 0.3 oz Columbus for 60 min.

Hit an OG of 1.056. I used wlp001, it's fermenting at 21C/70F. It took about 24 hours to get going, which is a longer lag than I'm used to. 48 hours later (now), it is nice and frothy and looks healthy to the point where I might move to a blowoff tube.
However, the airlock is giving off a very sour smell. It's the same smell I once got when trying to (unsuccessfully) ferment odwalla juice with wine yeast, and that ended up tasting horribly sour.

Obvious possibility #1 is THATS NORMAL RDWHAHB, obvious possibility #2 is infection. But having never brewed with wheat before, I'm wondering if there are any alternative possibilities - something about wheat that could cause a sour smell, or possibly the reaction of wlp001 with wheat?

Back