Sour Raspberry saison - souring in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently have a Raspberry Saison that i'd like to sour.

Recipe:
6gal batch
* 2lb Pilsner
* 3lb Extra light DME
* 3lb Wheat DME
* 8oz Maltodextrin
* 8 IBU Mandarina Bavaria @60m
* WLP073 for 20 days until stable 1.006 fg
* transferred to secondary with 10lb frozen Raspberry
* current Ph is a tart 3.8 (most likely from ph of Raspberry)

I'm not entirely sure how i should proceed as far as souring it. I'm a little worried that the wild brett will dry out the beer too much, sour it to an unpalatable and ruin an otherwise good beer.

Originally, when i came up with this recipe, my idea was to take the dregs of 3 DeGarde bottles (Ivy, Rose berry and Violet premier). On the night we popped them, i made a small 500ml 1.030 starter and dumped in the dregs as we finished them and that has been sitting for about 4 days. unfortunately i didn't take any gravity or Ph readings of the dreg/starter slurry to see any ph or gravity changes. however there's clearly a smokey cloudiness and a thick layer of sediment on the bottom.

degarde slurry.jpg

Looking back, i wish i co pitched the dregs along with the wlp073 because it would already be at or near fg and already souring.

So i guess i'm asking if i should proceed as i planned and just dump this in, maybe wait for a pellicle to form on the starter first?. Sour with a different blend of microbes. i do have a packet of Sour weapon L as well as half a vial of Rosalare i could sub in place of the dregs. I also guess that leaving it a tart raspberry saison is an option, but after tasting it, it could really use some funk.

Any guidance would be appreciated

It's not recommended to pitch dregs with primary because many bottle conditioned beers have added wine yeast which may interfer with your intended primary strain.

I would wait to make sure the dregs are alive before adding them. You'll see bubbling, turbidity, and possibly a pellicle.

Adding the Roeselare would be fine if the dregs are dead or if you just like its Brett character.
I'm a little worried that the wild brett will dry out the beer too much, sour it to an unpalatable and ruin an otherwise good beer.
For my taste this has never been a problem.

FYI Brett doesn't make beer sour, the bacteria do that.

Cheers

Last edited:
It's not recommended to pitch dregs with primary because many bottle conditioned beers have added wine yeast which may interfer with your intended primary strain.

I would wait to make sure the dregs are alive before adding them. You'll see bubbling, turbidity, and possibly a pellicle.

So my Dregs look really healthy and smell awesome. The Raspberry has been in there for a little over a week now, have lost all their color and floated to the top. Should i transfer off the pulp and pitch or leave them in?

Attachments

• Degarde dreggs.jpg
    Degarde dreggs.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back