Sour Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jif

Reaction score
I brewed an Oktoberfest a few weeks ago, and when I transferred from primary to a Corny to lager it came out SOUR. Really sour. Like Lambic sour. I'm not a huge fan of sour beers, especially ones without fruit flavor. Is this something that may drop out in lagering? I've had it in cold conditioning for a week now and did another taste, still sour. Anything I can do to try and turn this into a non-sour beer or am I stuck? Is this most likely a sanitation issue?

My gut says throw some raspberry extract in here and call it a Framboise.

Because of the hopping schedule and the complexity of an oktoberfest, you really can't turn it into a passable Framboise or Lambic.

It sounds like you have an infection. My oktoberfest this year had once also. I'm not sure what caused it either since I did everything as normal and I've never had an infection.

I'm letting mine sit in the corny for a few months, then checking it again before I hook it up to the kegerator.

I'd age it for a few more weeks before doing anything - it may get better on it's own, but if it is an infection it will get worse, and there won't be much you can do to save it at that point. The raspberry won't cover it IMO. I had one batch go vinegar on me and it just kept getting more and more sour. But I've had others that I thought were heading that way and they cleaned up after a few weeks.

Would temperature at this stage of aging matter? As of now it's fridged, but if it doesn't matter I'd like the fridge space.

I've got cellar temperature coming out the ears, but until my keezer is done, just room for one keg. Thanks for the help guys!

Back