Sour from Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywatchthis

Reaction score
Good sours seem to be more tied to the right combo of microbes and time/temperature. Extract beers seem to leave more residual extract (food for bugs) compared to a lot of AG beers (especially those mashed lower).

Does anyone have experience souring beers made from extract? Is there a big difference compared to AG beers?

Thanks for help.

I made a lambic style and a flanders red from extract, both excellent. I read something a while back that for a lambic style, extract is better. Think it had to do with decon... mash.

I doubt anyone would claim extract can do anything better than using grains. That said, the poor attenuation of extract will leave residual food for the bugs. The same can be accomplished by mashing higher, adding starches, or using a poorly attenuating primary yeast.

Steve Piatz has made won a few medals with extract lambic.

http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/979-lambic-brewing

Steve Piatz has made won a few medals with extract lambic.

http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/979-lambic-brewing

FWIW, Jamil references and recommends Steve Piatz's extract method for pLambics in Brewing Classic Styles. Though, his reasoning seems to be an easier brewday (no decoction/turbid mash).

While the bugs do the heavy lifting in this beer, using extract or AG for wort production seems to be a choice of easier brewday vs. interest in the challenge using historical methods, a more artisanal approach IMO.

Awhile back wyeast (i believe it was) did trials with souring blends on both AG and extract batches and in side by side comparisons the extract batches were always chosen as inferior

That said, its not likely that you will be in a situation where you have two identical beers like that to judge so youll most likely make a decent sour beer. If you have the choice though, go with AG

Awhile back wyeast (i believe it was) did trials with souring blends on both AG and extract batches and in side by side comparisons the extract batches were always chosen as inferior

Was indeed wyeast, ref Wild Brews

Back