Sour culture gone off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indigi

Reaction score
I started a small sour culture/starter with dregs from a few Russian River/Jolly Pumpkin beers that I've fed a couple times over the past three months. It's starting to develop a horse blanket aroma, and I don't mean like you usually see in reviews, I mean like an actual sweaty, barny horse funk. Nasty. I haven't tasted it, but even if it tastes great, with this aroma I wouldn't want to drink any of it on a regular basis.

On the other hand, maybe that's how cultures smell for a while? I have no experience with this. Should I dump it, or let it "mature" for another few months and see where that puts me?

If you taste it, it will taste exactly like if smells. That's the Brett.

I don't know what makes it like that. I made a starter of Brett from Ommegang Biere De Mars, and it did the same thing. But when I used it in a beer, it did not produce such extreme flavors/aromas.

I suspect it has something to do with excess aeration of the Brett after main fermentation is over.

Latest posts

Back