Sour beer slushees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFst

Reaction score
While I’ve never actually had one, several breweries I’ve seen on social media (veil particularly) are putting sour beers into those slushee machines and that got me thinking for a cool beach treat.

I’m thinking of brewing a Berliner or gose, heavily fruited, then Tossing 6 oz or so in a sanitary bag and freezing. These would be tossed into a cooler or something and as they thaw slightly could be opened up or just thrown a straw into like a Capri sun.

I can’t imagine these would need to be carbed since the machine versions would clearly knock the carb out.

I’m also considering fruiting late and not letting it ferment out. I know yeast can keep on chugging cold so bottling would be an issue but since I plan to freeze and not using bottles I don’t see why this would be an issue.

Any one tried something similar? holes in the concept?

You would need to agitate it to turn it into a slushy or else you would end up with an ice block. You could put it into an ice cream maker and then freeze from there, but you’ll still end up with s pretty solid block once it sits in the freezer

Yeah I’m definitely thinking they’ll need to thaw a bit, not intended for immediate consumption

Once you pull it out you’ll still need to agitate the bags if you do the ice cream maker method. Just straight into the freezer will still give you ice blocks though

If you carbonate it you’ll have a easier time having it be slushy consistency. Instead of bags I’d freeze it in old plast soda bottles. The cap will keep the co2 in and being plastic it will be able to expand when freezing without breaking. They would also be much easier to transport that way

If you carbonate it you’ll have a easier time having it be slushy consistency. Instead of bags I’d freeze it in old plast soda bottles. The cap will keep the co2 in and being plastic it will be able to expand when freezing without breaking. They would also be much easier to transport that way

The bags I’m considering are the breast milk bags which happen to be plentiful in my house currently. So they got the zip lock on them. I’m pretty confident In Their travel ability and ability to counter for the expansion. This is also why I said 6oz in the top post, it’s what they hold. but that is based on the beer being more or less still.

That said. What is the science behind or the experience behind carbing being easier to keep slush? I hadn’t considered the impact of pressure on freezing point and that will have a slight impact but less than one degree on freezing point.

The bags I’m considering are the breast milk bags which happen to be plentiful in my house currently. So they got the zip lock on them. I’m pretty confident In Their travel ability and ability to counter for the expansion. This is also why I said 6oz in the top post, it’s what they hold. but that is based on the beer being more or less still.

That said. What is the science behind or the experience behind carbing being easier to keep slush? I hadn’t considered the impact of pressure on freezing point and that will have a slight impact but less than one degree on freezing point.
Ever have a bottle of soda freeze on you? The co2 will absorb complete in to the liquid and it will be a softer slushy like texture. At my wife family’s Mexican restaurant they use the slushy machines and the point the turning is to stop them from freezing solid and to allow air into the mixture so it’s a softer texture of ice.

Ever have a bottle of soda freeze on you? The co2 will absorb complete in to the liquid and it will be a softer slushy like texture. At my wife family’s Mexican restaurant they use the slushy machines and the point the turning is to stop them from freezing solid and to allow air into the mixture so it’s a softer texture of ice.

On the soda, I have not. I’ve had beers get near that way but I always just threw that to partial freezing, crystals form slowly and given time it would go all the way. As mentioned above.

I get the point of the machines, and the suggestion above about the ice cream maker is a good one. I think I will try all three ways and report back. Not that I have a fruited sour on tap currently, not sure if frozen Citra/Amarillo neipa is something I really want to try tho...(not to mention the oxidation...oh the humanity)

On the soda, I have not. I’ve had beers get near that way but I always just threw that to partial freezing, crystals form slowly and given time it would go all the way. As mentioned above.

I get the point of the machines, and the suggestion above about the ice cream maker is a good one. I think I will try all three ways and report back. Not that I have a fruited sour on tap currently, not sure if frozen Citra/Amarillo neipa is something I really want to try tho...(not to mention the oxidation...oh the humanity)
I mean why not give it a shot with the NEIPA. It’s in the name of Brewerary Science lol

I can imagine a Strawberry or Raspberry Berliner would make a nice slushy.

I mean why not give it a shot with the NEIPA. It’s in the name of Brewerary Science lol

I can imagine a Strawberry or Raspberry Berliner would make a nice slushy.
Ok you convinced me. Maybe I’ll have something interesting to put on braufessors thread, this was a no flaked neipa after all ha.

I’ll also try with a mosaic rye pale ale to test different abv

Back