Sour-astringent tasting wort during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akardam

Reaction score
Hello everyone.. i made this imperial porter last weekend with an OG at 1.092.. super tasty wort prior to fermentation. so i used the irish 1084 and used 2L of wort as a starter and pitched it in the next day. Fermentation took off the following day (that is airlock bubbling) and after 7 days its down to 1.035. I was curious so during this one and only measurement I tasted it. It was tasting good at first but then turned into a sour bitter aftertaste. and i wonder why?

1. i took a sample from the top of the bucket trying to avoid krausen. So maybe there was a lot of bubbling yeast floating around thus giving the sour taste..

2. i mashed for 90min at 152. If it is a bit astringent due to tannin release because of over mashing/sparging would you not taste this in the wort prior yeast pitching? Because it was supertasty then.

Should i just relax and wait till fermentation is over or should i act now and try to save the beer in some way?

Thanks a lot!!!

There's plenty of nasty tasting things produced during active fermentation, so much so I don't even sample the wort until my final gravity check at 2-3 weeks (and I'm not a terribly patient guy). I'd just sit back and relax, this big beer is going to need some time to condition out fully.

Latest posts

Back