Sorghum versus Brown Rice Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Hey everybody. Hope everybody in Gluten free land is having a great day. Can
anybody that has experience with Brown Rice Syrup please share their brewing experiences. For example color or taste or any other considerations brewing with this stuff. Also, would anybody brew with this syrup instead of Sorghum or a combination of both. This forum rocks...: rockin:
Andy

Doesnt do much to color. Roast grains (buckwheat or millet or rice to a dark roast and add to brew to change the color).
Taste citrusy like Sorghum but maybe a pineapple taste? Its hard to place.
Some like to use it as a combination with Sorghum although there have been a few threads on just BRS brews. I am past the BRS, IMO it doesnt do enough to justify the costs. Malting your own Buckwheat and Quinoa is quite easy if you have a little bit of time. IMO those add better profiles to your beer. Buckwheat more of a nutty taste, and Quinoa a little bitter but good if you MALT it.

A Little bit of time? Man, you need a lot of time, and space, and money to do all grain GF beer... especially if you live in an apartment, or millet is not available in bulk locally. Also it takes like 20lb of millet to get an SG of around 1.070 from what I've heard, which is more than the average bulk barn even stocks. It is easy if you live in a big house in the US, especially if you're in Colerado.

A Little bit of time? Man, you need a lot of time, and space, and money to do all grain GF beer... especially if you live in an apartment, or millet is not available in bulk locally. Also it takes like 20lb of millet to get an SG of around 1.070 from what I've heard, which is more than the average bulk barn even stocks. It is easy if you live in a big house in the US, especially if you're in Colerado.

I use my malted grains in addition to the Sorghum malt. So I am doing maybe 5 lbs each time. I have had the most success with buckwheat.

I do take up a lot of counter space in the kitchen when doing it so yeah you need space. I use the garage in the summer months when the highs are in the low 80s.

I've brewed two batches of homebrew so I don't have tons of experience, but I've used 100% sorghum for one batch and my second batch I did about 66% sorghum and 33% brown rice syrup. Using brown rice definitely helps reduce that sorghumy aftertaste, but also makes the beer a lot thinner. I wanna try an all brown rice syrup batch, I think it will come out pretty good, you just need to add a decent amount of maltodextrine or something to give it some body.

can you just use BRS from a super market? I picked up some organic BRS from Wegmans, I was told this would work. I wanna try a 50-50 BRS/Sorghum.

That's what many of us do. I get mine from Kroger/Meijer/WholeFoods etc. I think I just use Lindmans cause that's what's there and cheap enough. I just make sure to stock up when I see it on sale or have coupons.

In reference to what DougmanXL said about millet, I got a SG of 1.038 in a 2.5 gallon batch with 10 pounds of millet. I did use a triple decoction mash which was a real pain in the ass and not too practical. Extrapolating this though, you could get a SG of 1.078 with 20 lbs of millet, which is still pretty bad in comparison to most gluten containing grain i.e. barley

That's what many of us do. I get mine from Kroger/Meijer/WholeFoods etc. I think I just use Lindmans cause that's what's there and cheap enough. I just make sure to stock up when I see it on sale or have coupons.

cool thanks man, puts my mind at ease.

Back