sorbate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edues

Reaction score
Once my must gets to a 1.000 SG. If I ad sorbate at that time to stop the fermentation. Will that help to speed up the lees so I can rack less in the long term. Kill the unneeded quick so they drop faster and not reproduce is the idea.

Sorbate DOES NOT KILL YEAST!!!!!

It only keeps active yeast from reproducing.

Gravity is what makes yeast fall out of suspension, now if you could manipulate gravity, it would clear much quicker. :D

Well, you can manipulate gravity by forcing the particles to the bottom of your carboy using a centrifuge.:rockin: But I wouldn't recommend it because if the carboy is not securely held in place it will fly off like a rocket and do a great deal of damage

I discovered that the rubber stopper from a wine-keeper fits into one of those cylindrical airlocks, which enables you to de-gas easily over a few days provided the wine has been stabilised. Then any dissolved carbon dioxide (which, I am led to believe, helps hold the yeast in suspension) comes out and so allows the yeast to drop out of the wine faster.

Back