Sorbate and cold crashing to stop fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideshow_ben

Reaction score
I was trying to keeve my cider but grew mold and had to nuke it with Camden tabs then pitch yeast. I'm at the final gravity I want and tossed in 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate per gallon and cold crashed the cider. If I understand the chemistry, the sorbate binds to yeast to keep it from reproducing, so if I added the chemicals, mixed it up well, then crashed the cider and rack off the sediment, it should work roughly the same as doing a cold crash, racking off and then adding sorbate, right? It isn't like sulfites which dissipate?

Thanks,

-Ben

If you added sorbate, then you should add a small amount of camden as well. Use half the recommended dose. The Sorbate wont go anywhere but if you use it without k-meta, it can taste and smell really rank.

I added 1/2 dose of campden at the beginning of the keeve, then a full dose when the cider grew mold. 2 weeks later I'm crashing it. Do you think the campden I added 2 weeks ago will be enough to work with the sorbate, or should I add another 1/2 dose now?

If you've already added 1.5 doses then you probably dont need more. Some will have burned off during the ferment but enough should remain so that you dont get the geranium taste when you add the sorbate.

Back