sonofa-fermentation stopped way too soon, halp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveLovesBier

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed my second batch and it's ok, but not great (and mostly undercarbonated)

I brewed a third last weekend, an irish stout, everything went smooth and after it was in the carboy w/ airlock, it was bubbling pretty good fairly soon for about 2 days....then just stopped cold

So its up there, i havent opened or anything....is it saveable? Can I add more yeast? siphon it into a couple of pots, re-boil/cool/pitch? Id hate to have to throw it out :-/

someone able to tell me im not SOL on this?

Airlocks aren't reliable, and sometimes it only ferments hard for a couple days anyway. Check the gravity if you're worried, but it's probably fine.

+1 to not rely on the airlock. Just be patient and let nature take it's course. The worst thing you can do right now is try to fix it.

Airlocks aren't reliable, and sometimes it only ferments hard for a couple days anyway. Check the gravity if you're worried, but it's probably fine.

Was not aware of this, so I feel better. I'll get my stuff out after work tonight and check the gravity

thanks for the replies! :)

Not to worry....and make sure not to try and fix. If you are concerned follow your 1, 2, 3 schedule or whatever the recipe calls for and you should be fine. Just FYI, my last five brews have pretty much finished active fermentation in 72 hours or less. I am not sure why they all seem to be going so quickly but I an not worried about it and the ones that are finished taste fine.

ok, sg was at 1.034 last night, where it was 1.048 when i put it in the primary, so now i feel better :)

ill check it again wednesday and see if its stable there, thanks everyone! :D

Airlock bubbling, or stopping or starting is not the same thing as fermentation. Use a hydrometer and not an airlock to know what your beer is doing. Airlocks are vents, not magic fermentation gauges.

Airlock bubbling, or stopping or starting is not the same thing as fermentation. Use a hydrometer and not an airlock to know what your beer is doing. Airlocks are vents, not magic fermentation gauges.

oh i understand that, but with my first two brews there was noticeable, regular bubbling and kreusen formation which lasted many days. this time? that lasted 2 days, tops, hence my concern.

another concern: the first two batches were well under-carbonated. the kits come with 5 ounces of priming sugar which i guess hasnt been enough.

i have extra corn sugar to add, what measurement is typical for priming sugar, and should i go to 5.5 oz or 6oz? i really want this one to be good, whereas the last one was drinkable, but nothing special, largely due to carbonation issues.

+1 Seen 'em not bubble at all when you can see yeast swirling around the carboy quite actively. And I've seen 'em bubble long after the hydro confirmed FG had been reached. Airlocks aren't a good way to judge fermentation.

Back