Sometimes you just get lucky...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkwolf

Reaction score
One of the more less-desirable parts of my job is doing on-site survey work for three different landfills - four different times this summer, I've found myself walking on top of the active garbage face. You really start to evaluate your career choices when you can tell by look what areas of the garbage can support your weight, and what areas you will sink through.

Anyway, first thing this morning, I'm on site at one of the landfills, waiting for a contractor to show up and build a containment berm alongside the active waste cell. They're in the process of some major changes, including building a new transfer station, and they'll be tearing down their old office/maintenance shed in the very near future. In preparation for that, they've been cleaning up the scrap metal pile and white goods (consumer appliances -- fridges, freezers, etc.) area. We're standing there talking this morning, when at the edge of the pile I spot...a slightly dented, but still shiny, full-size keg.

Casually bring it up to the operator that "Heck, I just paid someone for a used keg just like that!" He looked at it, and told me it had been sitting in that pile for over a year, and if I wanted this one, to go ahead and take it with me when I left.

Don't NEED another keg right now - I *JUST* finished my first keggle conversion two months ago. But with another keg in reserve, plans for a brew stand are starting to move to the forefront of my mind. It just happens that one of the guys in my brew club owns a manufacturing plant, and is willing to have his guys fabricate stuff for us at or near his cost...

Nice! The landfill I go to has the signs on everywhere that say "Scavenging is not allowed. Punishable by law". There have been a few freezer/fridges and/or firewood from yard waste I could have recycled into usable materials for the home/brewshed but the sign always scares me off.

:mug:

Oh, they've got the same signs there - but don't think for a second that the operators aren't sneaking things home in their pickups. It might help that I'm on a first-name basis with both operators and the entire solid waste commission.

Also, this was sitting next to the building, not out on the active waste cell. That is a dangerous place to be.

Back