Sometimes my own "Beer Snobbery" is frustrating to me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTDuffman

Reaction score
I know, I know, first world problems, but I thought this was interesting:

I was at a local watering hole with the wife for happy hour tonight, and I ordered a Brooklyn Brown Ale. I noticed as I watched the waitress pour it that the beer was decidedly *not* brown. As she handed me the glass, the clearly amber beer with an off-white thick head was screaming to me "This is not a Brooklyn Brown." I tasted it, and it was even more confirmed. This wasn't a brown ale. What was it? I have no idea. There was a distinctive honey character in both the flavor and the aroma.

I let the bartender and the manager know. It was confirmed that the taps were all working correctly and connected to the right vessels. "That tap goes to the Brooklyn Brown Keg" I was told. I said "I'm not really complaining, this is a good beer. I'm at the point where all I want to know is *what* this is, because it's not Brooklyn Brown, it's not even a brown ale at all."

So, it was clearly just an issue of a mislabeled keg...but of what? I have no idea, and I fear I may never know. I'm obsessed with this now. Stupid being a Beer Snob. 98% of the population would have drank that, enjoyed it and moved on...

Haha, this happened to me not 3 weeks ago. I got a wheat ale from Goose Island (312) at the local bar. It was CLEARLY Coors light. I knew the bartender and started giving her crap for pouring the wrong beer. She got defensive, mad even. I set up a taste comparison with a bottle of 312, a bottle of CL, and my poured beer. We made an honest bet on the loser drinks something of the winners choice. Watching her struggle through a car bomb was priceless.
Long story short, being a beer snob pays off some times.

I was *this close* to going to the nearby Wegmans to buy a bottle of Brooklyn Brown to show them that this clearly wasn't that.

I honestly don't blame the bar at all, I really think they got a mis-labeled keg. Now I just want to know what was in it...

I always figured being a beer snob meant you cared about what kind of beer other people drink. Caring about what kind of beer you drink just means you have good taste. Although if you had bought a bottle of brown ale to prove to the bartender she poured you the wrong beer she probably would have asked the big dude that works as the bouncer to walk her to her car that night in case you were waiting for her in the parking lot.:D

I think you may never know. Sad, sounds like a hell of a beer.
Upon further investigation at my bar, they had lines crossed.

This is why I always ask for a taste before I order a pint. If it's not what I expect or worthy of my hard earned dollars, I try something else.

In the pubs I frequent, they would appreciate it if I pointed out a mistake on one of their taps.

I always figured being a beer snob meant you cared about what kind of beer other people drink. Caring about what kind of beer you drink just means you have good taste. Although if you had bought a bottle of brown ale to prove to the bartender she poured you the wrong beer she probably would have asked the big dude that works as the bouncer to walk her to her car that night in case you were waiting for her in the parking lot.:D

To me, I kind of wear the term "Beer snob" as a matter of pride. It's like Clerks 2 and Porch Monkey - I'm taking it back. The type of person you describe I prefer to refer to (pardon my language) as a "Beer Dick."

I think you can be snobby about something and care about drinking good beer, without being a dick about what other people are drinking. I've found that this is actually the best way to evangelize about the merits of great beer. When you are confrontational about the beer someone else is drinking, they will react poorly. If you are reverential about the beer *you* are drinking, people will become inquisitive about why you like what you like. I have gained many, many converts to the world of craft beer by loving my own beer as opposed to hating theirs. Tonight myself, a good freind, and even my wife all enjoyed a glass of Hopslam. I consider that an achievement.

That said, to the bar's credit, the investigated all the taps, kegs, and connections. The didn't know what else to tell me, other than the correct line was connected to the keg they had labeled as Brooklyn Brown, which leads me to believe they just got a mislabeled keg. I've had what was actually Brooklyn Brown there before, this was the first time something not brown came out of the tap. :)

Thats a pretty cool idea. I don't think the label is as important as the actions taken while wearing the label. I tend to like beers that are hoppy while my step father doesn't. I was pretty excited to put together a decent collection of beers to split with him while he visits that we will likely both like. I think we are talking about the same thing, just not agreeing on the exact definitioon

Good for you!! I was at a bar recently and ordered a Delirium Tremens on draft. They poured it into a regular pint glass but worst of all it was completely flat!!! I had those same thoughts...."I don't want to be a beer snob but...." The bartender was cool with taking it back and pouring me a Duvel instead, still in a pint glass but at that point....

I am shocked at how often I get kegs delivered to me that are labeled as one thing and when I tap them they are actually something else. Luckily myself and those I employ know enough about beer to notice something is off before a pint is served (most of the time)

Are you sure that there is no possibility that you could have been wrong about the whole thing?

Just wondering out loud maybe, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that a HBT member knows more about beer than 98% of the population, but still...could there be a chance that you were wrong about this?

This sort of happened to me. I asked for a ST choklate, never having it before and it was awesome. Went for another glass and it was totally different...still really good but not what i ordered. Come to find out that the first one was the wrong one yet nobody could tell me what it was. I sampled the ones they tboughtit could be...a bells chocolate stout and a dark horse thirsty trout porter...neither of them were it. I had one more before we had to stumble to the JLA for the wings game and damnit if it wasn't the same one as the first...still nobody knew. It wasn't onenof those things where maybe the second glass was a bit off and all threepence were really the same because it was a.totally different profile...the mystery continues to this day...2 years later.

I don't think this sounds like snobbery. Sounds like you are concerned about what you are drinking, which you should be. I view snobbery as thinking your taste in beer is clearly right and anyone who sees different is wrong. That's not the vibe I am getting from this thread.

At a local watering hole last month I noticed that the beer I ordered had a decidedly creamy texture and very small bubble profile

As this bar has guiness on draft I alerted the barkeep that the co2 bottles were probably mixed up

It earned me a free beer :ban:

BBKing said:
Are you sure that there is no possibility that you could have been wrong about the whole thing?

Just wondering out loud maybe, and I'd bet my bottom dollar that a HBT member knows more about beer than 98% of the population, but still...could there be a chance that you were wrong about this?

I suppose anything's possible, but I've had that beer at that pub many, many times. The fact that it wasn't brown was the biggest tip-off for me :)

Am I only one one who insists on a warm glass when I request an Ale??

The ice cold temps in some bars just ruins the taste of a good ale.

Am I only one one who insists on a warm glass when I request an Ale??

The ice cold temps in some bars just ruins the taste of a good ale.

I insist on a non frosted glass, or I insist on re-using the same glass.

The shining pinnacle of my beer snobbery? since you asked...........

At a tex-mex chain, SWMBO and I arrived during happy hour, when all drafts were 1/2 priced!!!!!

"what's on draft?", I asked excitedly.

"Bud light, Bud regular, Miller lite, and Coors lite,!!" the waitress anounced.

SWMBO ordered a miller, I had a coke.

I insist on a non frosted glass, or I insist on re-using the same glass.

The shining pinnacle of my beer snobbery? since you asked...........

At a tex-mex chain, SWMBO and I arrived during happy hour, when all drafts were 1/2 priced!!!!!

I can relate to that. Im sure I would have looked at the waitress with a blank stare too, trying to figure out if she was joking.

OP, I think you have a mystery on your hand that deserves solving! If it was a mislabeled keg, it likely came from the same brewery. Contact them, tell the story, and see if they can help you figure out what you drank. You might even get lucky and get offered some free samples!

that reminds me of a trip to a bar I made in Trenton on a Very hot day.

Waitress "you look like you could use a beer"

me "Love one whats on tap"

Waitress "Coors Lite"

Me " I thought you said Beer"

Its not "beer snob" makes us sound like we wear monocles and look down our noses.....Refer to yourself as a "beer geek" much better term for cool people who have a passion for beer. Leave snobbery to those who drink expensive wine. (I love wine to)

Its not "beer snob" makes us sound like we wear monocles and look down our noses.....Refer to yourself as a "beer geek" much better term for cool people who have a passion for beer. Leave snobbery to those who drink expensive wine. (I love wine to)

I hate to part with my label of beer snob, but you make GOOD sense.

All in favor?

I hate to part with my label of beer snob, but you make GOOD sense.

All in favor?

I cannot take full credit I read it here on another post but did change my way of thinking of myself as I always hated calling myself a snob so referred to myself as a fanatic for a while and geek just sums it up well.

i don't get it.

he'd rather drink soda than beer i guess... :confused:

This thread is called "BEER SNOBBERY" something or other and you all don't understand?

Coke tastes better than light american lager, and it is a passive protest in the hopes that they get a clue.

I went to a bar in town that does a trivia night. There was a lady from Land Shark there handing out free bottles. She came to our table, asked what we'd all be drinking. Most people said bud light and i said Switchback (local wheat beer), she handed us all a land shark and was interested in my reaction. I sipped it, looked at her, looked at the beer, looked at my friends, put the bottle down and said "im going to get a switchback." She didnt come back to our table to give anyone another beer all night. Very unprofessional on her part and not so kind on mine, but come on lady, not everybody is going to like the beer you're selling. Get over it.

I went to a bar in town that does a trivia night. There was a lady from Land Shark there handing out free bottles. She came to our table, asked what we'd all be drinking. Most people said bud light and i said Switchback (local wheat beer), she handed us all a land shark and was interested in my reaction. I sipped it, looked at her, looked at the beer, looked at my friends, put the bottle down and said "im going to get a switchback." She didnt come back to our table to give anyone another beer all night. Very unprofessional on her part and not so kind on mine, but come on lady, not everybody is going to like the beer you're selling. Get over it.

Was she coming back to give other tables more free beer? I'm used to those folks only giving away the one freebie anyways.

This thread is called "BEER SNOBBERY" something or other and you all don't understand?

Coke tastes better than light american lager, and it is a passive protest in the hopes that they get a clue.

tell it again

coolstory.JPG

I know, I know, first world problems, but I thought this was interesting:

I was at a local watering hole with the wife for happy hour tonight, and I ordered a Brooklyn Brown Ale. I noticed as I watched the waitress pour it that the beer was decidedly *not* brown. As she handed me the glass, the clearly amber beer with an off-white thick head was screaming to me "This is not a Brooklyn Brown." I tasted it, and it was even more confirmed. This wasn't a brown ale. What was it? I have no idea. There was a distinctive honey character in both the flavor and the aroma.

I let the bartender and the manager know. It was confirmed that the taps were all working correctly and connected to the right vessels. "That tap goes to the Brooklyn Brown Keg" I was told. I said "I'm not really complaining, this is a good beer. I'm at the point where all I want to know is *what* this is, because it's not Brooklyn Brown, it's not even a brown ale at all."

So, it was clearly just an issue of a mislabeled keg...but of what? I have no idea, and I fear I may never know. I'm obsessed with this now. Stupid being a Beer Snob. 98% of the population would have drank that, enjoyed it and moved on...

Where were you at, Finnegan's? Definitely not Fireworks, as they would know by looking at it, just as you did.

My local bar has <insert brand here> light and Rolling Rock on tap.

Man I can't wait until the RR taps out. Maybe they will get a decent seasonal from Bells or Boston Beer..

i once ordered a yuengling and it had pieces of broken glass in it. i had to kind of strain it through my teeth. i don't remember ordering it that way, though the bartender insisted i did. if that makes me a snob, then that's probably accurate...

My local bar has <insert brand here> light and Rolling Rock on tap.

Man I can't wait until the RR taps out. Maybe they will get a decent seasonal from Bells or Boston Beer..

Not likely Bro.

If they had 4 taps (like the tex mex ridiculous place I was at) surely they could risk 1 tap to something any beergeek would order, but 1 of 2?

They couldn't be that open minded if that is a ll they start with.

My local watering hole doesn't have any craft beer at all. I really wish they did, because I'd love to have a bar that was walking distance to my house with something I want to drink.

I am lucky that for some reason (greatness) that Central KY has exploded onto the craft brew scene. Microbreweries and TAP rooms popping up everywhere as well as the local liquor stores stocking really good selections. Its a great town to be in for a beer geek......and a basketball fan....

gunner65 said:
I am lucky that for some reason (greatness) that Central KY has exploded onto the craft brew scene. Microbreweries and TAP rooms popping up everywhere as well as the local liquor stores stocking really good selections. Its a great town to be in for a beer geek......and a basketball fan....

Why we have no brew pub in lex? I need to hit up country boy brewers or whatever its called.

Last night at a resturant I ordered a sam adams. They brought me the new alpine spring thing...i never bothered looking at the glass to see and they never mentioned they only carry the seasonals only. I almost choked since I wanst expecting out.

Here 60 miles down the road lookin right back at ya!

Here too. Let me know if you come into town.

Saints, BBC, The Tap room, Cumberland Brewery, New Albanian, All sorts of GREAT selection and craft brew all around here.

I don't see why your actions would qualify you as a "snob". You ordered something, got something else, and brought it to their attention. If you went to a restaurant and ordered a steak sandwich but they brought you a chicken caesar wrap, wouldn't you say something?

Back