Something is on the bottom of my bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thadius856 said:
Getting a little late in the year for spice ales (at least here, in sunny CA).

Might want to start thinking forward to St. Patty's day. :)

Yea I hear what you're saying. I'm stubborn and still want to try it again but I may just move on to a stout. I'm interested in seeing how they brew. Any Recommendations??

Stouts are fun. I did an oatmeal stout that came out nicely. They're a little more on the... substantial mouth feel... side of stouts. Malty, roasted, with a bitter finish.

Also did a chocolate peanut butter stout. But it's much more of a dessert beer. I wouldn't brew it up if you're drinking only doing one batch at a time. Certainly not sessionable.

There's a recipe in the archive here that looks promising. I think I'll be trying it out next time I brew up a stout (but in an all-grain version): [thread=96969]None More Black Vanilla Stout[/thread].

It's not a kit, but it's easy enough to piece together, if you feel comfortable with that. You can skip the Irish Moss if you don't mind it being slightly cloudy.

Cheers!

Turns out that I didn't bottle any bombs...thankfully! It's nothing what I expected it to be. The guy must of fooled my gf into buying this one because it tastes nothing like the blue moon. The extra cinnamon I put it made the flavor slightly noticeable but not bringing the flavor in the direction I want. I also taste the maltyness of the beer. 9lbs of malt is wayyyyy to much. Next beer may get 5 lbs and ill focus more on the spices to bring that flavor out. Or I should try DME?

No. No. NO. Stop.

If you want a Blue Moon clone, head over to the recipe forums and look up a Blue Moon clone. Why re-do the work that other people have already poured into coming up with a good clone?

I hate to say it, but you're still very inexperienced. I wouldn't expect any clones you try to brew taste like what you're cloning. You'll be lucky to get the same style even at your experience level. Enjoy the beer, learn what you can, and in 10 batches or so you'll have it down well enough to make a good clone.

Turns out that I didn't bottle any bombs...thankfully! It's nothing what I expected it to be. The guy must of fooled my gf into buying this one because it tastes nothing like the blue moon.

I thought this was a spiced holiday ale / winter warmer? That's very different from Blue Moon...

Latest posts

Back