Something I never would have guessed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Yep, I know. Vague title. Interesting thing came to mind recently, though, and I wanted to share.

When I first started brewing, it was a means to an end. "Cheaper" beer (the debate rages on...and to me, my time is worthless!) and getting the ability to claim ownership in what I drank. Which of course included a sense of pride as well as the ability to customize the beer to suit my tastes. Back in those days, the greatest rush came from peeking in on the fermentation process - I just about crapped myself when I could watch it all through a carboy - and then waiting to see what finished product I created.

With the yeasts' help of course. :D

Anyway, here's what I realized. I'm sure many of you have come to realize, may come to realize it in the future, or maybe just realized it because of this post. At this point, I think I actually enjoy the process of brewing, though it's a bit long to do a few AG brew in a weekend, as much or more than the end product. I get as much of a rush out of selecting ingredients and configuring them, imagining what they could potentially become. I believe that's due to a greater understanding of the process, the ingredients and how they come together.

In any case, I never would've guessed. When I first started, I enjoyed the six pack more than the path that took me there. Now, I enjoy the process. Weird. If someone told me this'd happen 8 months later, I would've told them they're probably jacked in the head.

Oh well, it just means more enjoyment for me. And more beer. :rockin:

I'm obsessed with the process too. I am bound and determined to make some incredible beer (it hasn't happened yet).

It's only rewarding because it's challenging!

Before I started brewing I had no idea that the process of making beer could be as enjoyable as the beer itself.

It truly is a fantastic hobby.

I know people who brew so much that they give most of their beer away, they just love to brew! I love it too, I guess I just don't have time to brew that much.

I love the brewing process, too. However, I am looking forward to the day when my kids are grown up enough so I don't have to brew in the middle of the fricken night.

I'm sure I give away far more beer than I drink. I also make batches for friends who supply their own ingredients. I just really enjoying crafting a recipe and seeing how it turns out. Of course I enjoy the drinking beer aspect ALMOST as much. :D

I love the process, too, almost to the point where I have to consciously stop thinking about it to enjoy the beer that comes as the result. :)

TL

bradsul said:
I'm sure I give away far more beer than I drink. I also make batches for friends who supply their own ingredients. I just really enjoying crafting a recipe and seeing how it turns out.
I know what you mean. The coolest thing is that the CEO from my fiancee's company had a couple different homebrews that I made. He liked them so much that he commissioned me to make a Belgian strong ale for their company picnic on the 26 of June. He's giving me $100 to work with to make an 8 gallon batch. The guy wants premium ingredients - and with that budget, I can happily deliver. Safe to say it'll be my first true-to-style beer with all European malts and noble hops.

Good times for sure! :rockin: Nothing brings people together like beer. It really does bridge gaps between strangers.

"The journey is the thing"

I find this to be true in everything I do...it's not so much the destination, but the process of getting there. The energy and excitement that comes from the pursuit of a goal is what I'm addicted to, not necessarily the end result. It helps me understand why our declaration of independence doesn't say we have the right to "Life, liberty and happiness", but rather "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness".

As long as I have an empty bucket, carboy, Better Bottle, corny keg, or some 12-ounce bottles.....

I'm going to be brewing.

...BM looks over and eyes two empty conies in the corner of the brew shop...

Gotta go....

I agree, I have spend tons of time just goofing around with BeerTools, trying out different combos of ingredients, seeing where they fall in style, and trying to come up with that 'killer' recipe. As others have mentioned; I think that actually knowing how the process works makes the final product even more enjoyable.

I see brewing as kind of like golfing...that one perfect shot/beer always keeps you coming back to the course. You can never have a perfect golf game and the beer can always be improved.

BierMuncher said:
As long as I have an empty bucket, carboy, Better Bottle, corny keg, or some 12-ounce bottles.....

I'm going to be brewing.

...BM looks over and eyes two empty conies in the corner of the brew shop...

Gotta go....

+1. Egad, all my primaries AND secondaries are full! NOW what????
:mug:

I feel the same way about my photography. Messing around in the darkroom is just as enjoyable as seeing the finished product, except you can't drink it.

I think the most beautiful thing is drinking some homebrew while brewing. It's like a perfect cycle.

Bernie Brewer said:
+1. Egad, all my primaries AND secondaries are full! NOW what????
:mug:
  • Find a clean pint glass.
  • Retrieve a bottle opener.
  • Fill one of those empty 6-pack holders with a variety pack from your fridge
  • Pull up a folding chair in front of your taps...hopefully with a TV nearby.
  • Get a box of Triscuits

I think you know the rest... :D

BierMuncher said:
  • Find a clean pint glass.
  • Retrieve a bottle opener.
  • Fill one of those empty 6-pack holders with a variety pack from your fridge
  • Pull up a folding chair in front of your taps...hopefully with a TV nearby, with the ballgame on
  • Get a bag of peanuts

I think you know the rest... :D

Tweaked that for ya- NOW we're talkin!!!!:mug:

bradsul said:
I'm sure I give away far more beer than I drink. I also make batches for friends who supply their own ingredients. I just really enjoying crafting a recipe and seeing how it turns out. Of course I enjoy the drinking beer aspect ALMOST as much. :D

and of course it doesn't hurt when they rave about your beer and are always glad to receive more.

EinGutesBier said:
I know what you mean. The coolest thing is that the CEO from my fiancee's company had a couple different homebrews that I made. He liked them so much that he commissioned me to make a Belgian strong ale for their company picnic on the 26 of June. He's giving me $100 to work with to make an 8 gallon batch. The guy wants premium ingredients - and with that budget, I can happily deliver. Safe to say it'll be my first true-to-style beer with all European malts and noble hops.

Good times for sure! :rockin: Nothing brings people together like beer. It really does bridge gaps between strangers.

That's pretty cool, just be sure to be careful about how you go about this. This could be interpreted as a commercial sale, which would require a liquor license.

solbergg said:
That's pretty cool, just be sure to be careful about how you go about this. This could be interpreted as a commercial sale, which would require a liquor license.
Yep, careful's the word. It'll be done in a way that it's essentially me bringing homebrew to a company picnic. I don't think I'll actually be paid anything, either for my time or the beer itself. Just reimbursed for the cost of supplies.

I've seen people say that they take a 6 pack for their troubles, which seems fair (hell, probably more than fair when you consider propane, etc). Though bottling a case for someone would be a pain in the ass.

I think that once you get to the point where you enjoy the process of making beer almost more or more than drinking beer you have finally reached beer nirvana. You can't always drink beer but you can always think of how you are going to make you next beer better.

Back