Some Raspberry Cider Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gangles

Reaction score
In the summer, my very first batch of cider came up. When I was bottling I ran out of empties bottle to use, so I quickly cleaned a 2 L pop bottle and emptied the rest in there.

Once I had an empty wine bottle, I decided to try something. I have head about racking different fermented beverages to secondary with fruits and spices to get some more flavor. So, I popped 2 dozen raspberries into the clean bottle, filled it with cider, gave’er a good shake and corked it.

But, after one month I pulled the wine bottle out to take a look and the raspberries had almost completely dissolved in the cider and it was full of all these floaty bits of berry.

So what is the technique here? Do I let the bits sink and try to siphon? To I run it through a coffee filter? Do I man-up and drink it anyhow?

What are your experiences with secondary racked fruits? And while, I’m asking all the questions; is there a proper name for this?

Usually you rack off the fruit & try to avoid getting any sediment or "floaty bits." You lose a little bit of liquid every time you rack, but you can top up by adding more liquid, or dropping some sanitized marbles into the container to discplace liquid & in effect: top up without adding any liquid at all. You can also rack to a smaller container. You top up to avoid surplus headspace, which risks oxidation. Regards, GF.

Back