Some questions regarding blackcurrant wine made with fresh fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandy666

Reaction score
Hi there, I have around 10KG's of blackcurrants that I want to brew up with, but I have a questions I hope someone can help me with. I've brewed with success in the past with the wine kit cans, but never with pure fruit. My questions are as follows:

• I'm going to put the currants into a bucket with some boiling water and pectonase to break it down, once it cools. In order to get the maximum juice out of the berries, i was going to run a hand blender through them, but I am concerned that it will be difficult to clear the the wine at the end. Am I better to mash the berries with a potato masher then put them through a muslin strainer, or is using a blender ok? Or should I add the water, fruit, pectonase, leave for a while and gently squeeze the currants so there is not too much sediment or fruit matter in the must?
  • Blackcurrants in Scotland are quite bitter, and acidic. Some recipes call for adding extra lemon juice. Will this have an effect on the fermentation? I intend to use just over a kilo of sugar per imperial gallon. I have a hydrometer and have seen posts on here with instructions for use, which i will look at later on.
  • Various recipes call for varying amounts of fruit by weight. Does it matter if I put extra fruit in - will this improve the taste or will it have a detrimental effect on the fermentation process?
  • Any hints or tips for making wine with this kind of fresh fruit? i will be using a nutrient and a general purpose yeast from my local brewstore.

many thanks

Boiling temps will denature pectic enzymes. Do not add additional acid unless you determine it needs it after fermentation. More fruit will bring in additional acid as well.

Blackcurrants are indeed very acidic. I started a batch in July 2017 and have 5 bottles still aging, and a note from Dec 2020 that the flavour is lovely but if it's not mellowed out (in terms of acidity) by Christmas 2021 I may have to use the rest for mulled wine.

For reference I used 5.5 kg fruit, 3.4 kg sugar, 10.6 litres water, and no additional acid or tannin.

Notes say that it was a weird primary fermentation (k1 v1116 yeast) with no foam and I had to measure sg to be sure anything was happening.

I wouldn't do a 100% black currant wine. I use about 20% in my mixed berry blend, and it's still very strong. Even though it ferments dry, the currants leave a sweet-like finish and we like it, but when we used more we didn't care for it at all.

It's brewing away nicely. I blended the fruit with a band blender in cold wayer, left for a few days, added pectonaise, strained through muslin to 4 gallons of juice and water. Added sugar to where the hydrometer suggested it would brew to 14%. Should I add more pectonaise once the bubbling stops to ensure it clears?

Back