Some electrical help building a control panel (not electric brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
Hi,

So I have a Brewtroller box that by all measures has been fine but since it's no longer supported and I feel like it's a bit of a complicated solution for the relatively benign setup I have, I want to simplify things a bit. All I really need is to power a couple 24VAC gas solenoids, and a couple 120VAC March pumps. It really is nothing particularly fancy.

My electrical knowledge is not terrible - I've done most to the electrical work in the various parts of the brewery including building the Brewtroller panel. But when it comes to designing stuff the right way I need my hand held a bit :) Is there someone that has some extensive knowledge that might be able to lend a hand?

Here is a bit more detail:

- The box will be powered via 120VAC. I have no need for 240VAC at the moment. That could change later.
- Since my gas control valves are 24VAC, my plan is to use (2) 24VAC PID's. I'll step-down 120VAC to 24VAC with a transform. I have one now - one of the doorbell style Class 2 transformers. I could replace this with a DIN version if it makes sense or just use it.
- The pumps are easy I think I can handle those - just simple off/on.

This is what I need some hand-holding with:

One thing I don't know how to do at all and I definitely need help with: I need the ability to either power the gas control valves using the PID, manually, or completely off so there's no way they can run even if the PID is on. I also would like an indicator light to remain on anytime the gas control valve is energized be it via PID or manually.

It's possible I'll have other questions but I think it's pretty straight-forward. At some point I may decide to upgrade to 240V but I don't have a 240V with 4-wire - only 3-wire so it's really not an option at the moment.

Thanks,
JP

What PID are you using??

For the GCV you will need a "single pole, triple throw" (SP/TT). This might be hard to find, a THREE POSITION (ON/Off/ON) "single pole, double throw" Switch Labels would be On/Off/ PID .

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Posit...ff/on+SPDT&qid=1591922685&s=automotive&sr=1-1
If you can't find the right switch, you could use 2 SP/DT switches in series. The first switch would select Manual/PID, the second would be used for Manual mode and select ON/OFF.

For Indicator find a 24V AC; It will be wired directly in parallel to the GCV. It looks like many 24VAC GCV also run on 12VDC. I think you will find better selection of indicators,etc if you consider a 12VDC system.

I can send some pictures if this is jibberish.

www.auberins.com These guys are expensive but good product with good documentation (vs some of the chinese stuff off Amazon). I think most of their PIDs take in 120V and output 12VDC on the control pins

Last edited:
Back