Some boils need stirred every few minutes and some dont?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I'm on my 8th BIAB batch but I've done multiple AG batches years ago and I'm curious as to why some beers start boiling and I can walk away for a bit and get things done around the house (I do small 1.5 gallon batches on a propane burner outside). Some I have to stand there for an hour and stir and play with the heat every few minutes to prevent a boil over. The beer I'm doing today is a baltic Porter and this thing starts boiling over every few minutes. Is the trick getting the heat to the point where it doesn't start boiling over but maintains a constant rolling boil? My last two beers (a cream ale and an imperial stout) boiled nice and vigorous yet did not require stirring or me standing over it the whole time. Maybe a few times I had to stir but not like some of my others that just keep trying to boil over

I can't say why. For me, I can heat hard and once it gets close turn it down until the Hot Break happens, and then I just keep it at a medium boil until I add more hops. That can sometimes cause a foaming issue for a moment or two. Some say that First Wort Hops lends something to the boil that helps prevent boil overs.

I know that if I crank up the heat too much I can get some pretty good foaming. Sometimes more than others. I always thought it had more to do with how much protein was in the wort, so the more malts and things like that, the more proteins (in general) and the longer it takes to get that hot break. After that you should be able to find a nice boil that isn't a problem.

That's odd... Usually once the hot break forms for me, I basically don't worry about boil overs... I might watch it closely on the first hop addition, but that's it.

My guess is that perhaps your burner is just WAY overpowered for your 1.5 gal batches, and you're having trouble with regulating how much heat you're putting in. Maybe if there's just way too much heat, even after hot break formation you're still running into issues...

I would suggest something like Fermcap S, but it's possible that if your burner is just that hot, you're going to still run into issues even with it. I'd try to cut down how vigorously you boil, though, as maybe you're just boiling it too hard.

Also, the headspace in your kettle makes a huge difference. Not so much for how much foaming you get, but for how much you have to worry about it. I generally do 5 gallon batches in a 10 or 15.5 gallon kettle, and 2.5 gallons in an 8 or 10 gallon kettle. It "can" boil over, but unless I'm just not paying attention during the most critical phase, it's not a concern at all. I'm often doing other things and not paying attention to it at all after hot break.

That's odd... Usually once the hot break forms for me, I basically don't worry about boil overs... I might watch it closely on the first hop addition, but that's it.

My guess is that perhaps your burner is just WAY overpowered for your 1.5 gal batches, and you're having trouble with regulating how much heat you're putting in. Maybe if there's just way too much heat, even after hot break formation you're still running into issues...

I would suggest something like Fermcap S, but it's possible that if your burner is just that hot, you're going to still run into issues even with it. I'd try to cut down how vigorously you boil, though, as maybe you're just boiling it too hard.

Thanks. I've been fishing for the answer that I'm boiling too vigorously and I think I am. I'm assuming I should just adjust the heat down after the hot break to a point where it's not going to boil over. I always strive for a heavy rolling boiling the full 60 minutes and end up constantly having to turn the heat down to avoid a boil over AND boiling off a lot more than I normally do

Back