solid stopper vs airlock in bulk aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
Try typing this all out again and hope the site takes it

Reading another thread, I started thinking about bulk aging based on some comments made about Co2 and O2.

When is it ok (if ever) to use a solid stopper instead of an airlock during bulk aging?

I have several meads that have been in carboys over 6 months and it is a pain to keep refilling the airlocks. SG has been constant for months so no fermentation. Is there a reason to keep the airlocks on the carboys or can I just switch to solid stoppers and not worry about them while they age?

It's not just fermentation producing CO2, but the mead off-gassing as it sits (due to temperature shifts). IF you're comfortable with them producing no more CO2 this way, then install a solid stopper. Just remember to check on it from time to time. You can also make sure it's safe from anything bad falling in IF it pops the stopper.

Personally, I age in adapted sanke kegs. I also use a solid TC cap over the valve opening when aging. Since that's secured with a clamp, I don't worry about it. Especially since the kegs can withstand 60psi and there's no way that much will be produced by what's inside it. I do, occasionally, check the keg by pushing on the gas post. IF there's any CO2 in there, it gets released that way.

An alternative to a solid stopper would be one of the foam stoppers you can get. Cover that with some sanitized foil and you should be 100% safe AND not have to worry about an airlock going dry. :rockin:

EndlessPurple said:
Try typing this all out again and hope the site takes it

Reading another thread, I started thinking about bulk aging based on some comments made about Co2 and O2.

When is it ok (if ever) to use a solid stopper instead of an airlock during bulk aging?

I have several meads that have been in carboys over 6 months and it is a pain to keep refilling the airlocks. SG has been constant for months so no fermentation. Is there a reason to keep the airlocks on the carboys or can I just switch to solid stoppers and not worry about them while they age?

If there is NO bubbling from your airlock at all, then what function is it performing beyond what a regular stopper would?

If there is NO bubbling from your airlock at all, then what function is it performing beyond what a regular stopper would?
It still acts as a gas relief valve i.e. as a finished batch off gasses, the air lock allow it to stabilise the internal pressure build up. The very slow bubbling that can often be found is to do with changes in external air pressure.

sometimes you will see the bubbling, other times they water/liquid in the airlock just moves up some and settles......

I feel there are 2 good options for this situation.

1...Continue to use an airlock or vented stopper and keep filled as necessary.

2...Transfer to a container such as a keg that has a positive mechanical stopper of some sort.

I would not risk just plugging up the carboy with a stopper as changes in atmospheric pressures may pop it out. Upon further thought a balloon might be a good solution for long term carboy aging. It could inflate and deflate as pressures change.

After letting an airlock dry out due to inattention I now use plastic (freezer bag) secured with at least 2 rubber bands (in case 1 breaks). This has worked great on some wines I have bulk aging going on 3 years now.

Unless you're worried about a particularly high FG then there's nothing wrong with a solid stopper after several months of completed fermentation. In fact, as long as you don't stop it too early then I'd wager it's actually preferable to an airlock. Worrying about off-gassing blowing a stopper at late stages seems to be overly cautious. You could always just stopper it up when the mead's as warm as it'll probably get throughout storage (i.e. in summer).

I use Better Bottles for my aging, and the stopper/dry airlock they make works great. No need to refill liquids, and still acts as a relief valve when/if needed.

Not to be a commercial for BB, but that dry airlock works for me. :D

Got a chance to log back on. A bunch of good thoughts here. I appreciate them. The offgassing was something I was not thinking about. An important factor for younger meads. Those I like the idea of the airlock.

For the ones over 6 months, it sounds safe to stopper since some also bottle by then. I will just add the champaign wires (partial twist) to keep the stopper lightly secure just in case. I will have to keep an eye out at the LHBS for the plastic ones with a relief valve.

Also thought about using the wine savers gas when swapping out stoppers since there is no more CO2 being produced. Anyone ever used those in their aging meads?

Because im a rebel and have to say it, what dose it harm to leave an airlock on it?
I always air on the side of the "crap can happen" camp and would rather not chance having to clean up a 1 gallon bottle bomb or lose a batch if the stopper pops out.

I have bulk aged for 6 mos [TBH I forgot it was in the back of my closet] with an air lock that had liquor in it and had no ill affects.

Instead of a traditional airlock you can run a length of hose to a glass with sanitizer solution, like a blow off valve, then you shouldn't have to worry about evap rates so much. I do this a lot and then top up my sanitizer when I brew or bottle and have heaps laying around in the end of my day.

Back