Soliciting input on 110v electric all in one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of getting an all in one and doing BIAB instead of extract brews. I have been looking around, and it appears that the three below are in my comfort zone as far a price goes. There may be others.

Mash and Boil
Brewzilla
DigiBoil

Any input of any of the three, or any suggestions for another brand?

All input, good and bad appreciated

Lon

I have been using the first generation mash and boil for about 18 months. It is just the basic version with no recirculation. I think I have done about 20 brews on it. I have been very happy with it. It simplifies brew day. I also feel I have been able to be more consistent with this system. The only negative is that my efficiency is a little lower than previous system. I still get 70% so I think it is worth it.

The 110v system does take a while to heat water to mash temp and then to boil. If you can accommodate A 220v system it would save 30 minutes or so on the brew day.

The original Mash and boil also seems to let the temperature swing 6 degrees or so during the mash. While this seems a little extreme... if you actually measure the temp in the middle of the mash it stays pretty constant. Overall, I think it's a great way to brew.

All three will allow you do BIAB or standard all grain mashing. You might find that it's really easy to mash in without the bag and it could increase your efficiency.

I have the Brewzilla 35L (3.1) and I'm super happy with it as an easy all-in one. I like the built-in pump and recirculation arm included. Everything works as it should - It is a bit slow to temp, but that's to be expected on any 110v system - The neoprene jacket is a must. I get pretty amazing efficiency out of it (75+), and I'm always very happy with the results.

My one complaint is the location of the keypad (down low), but other than that I can't say enough good things about it.

Another brand not listed is to just use your existing stove. The only advantage I can see with a 110v "system" is that you can take it outside. You don't need a pump, recirculation or a digital keypad to control anything to make wort. If you don't have a small freezer with a temperature controller, I'd get that first, you can always upgrade to a "system" later if you think you really need one.

The Foundry 10.5 is on the upper end of price in contrast to the mash & boil and Digimash, but it has three advantages. It's big enough to do a no-sparge brew session which is a bit more simple. It's double wall so it has built in insulation. While you can insulate the others externally, it makes cleaning those more involved and doesn't look so great. Lastly, it will accept 120 and 240v. You may only have access to 120v now but maybe that will change and you'll get the advantage of almost half the heating time at some point in the future.

The foundry 10.5 without the pump kit is $425 but it does come with a wort chiller that fits the unit nicely.
The Digimash 9.25 gallon WITH the pump is $390 but it doesn't come with a chiller.

I'ts a done deal. After most of the day researching, I found a Brewzilla 3.1.1 on amazon for $329. Couldn't pass that up.

Lon

I am seriously thinking of getting an all in one and doing BIAB instead of extract brews. I have been looking around, and it appears that the three below are in my comfort zone as far a price goes. There may be others.

Mash and Boil
Brewzilla
DigiBoil

Any input of any of the three, or any suggestions for another brand?

All input, good and bad appreciated

Lon
I use the DigiBoil with the mash tube. 240 volt 60 liter size. Great for making 10 gallon batches of most beer styles. I like being abke to brew in my basement any time of the year with electric.

Back