Soldering thermocouple wires

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
K type thermocouple, worked fine for 3-4 brews, now giving weird readings. Seems the wires do not solder well and joints are dry. Is there an option for a panel mount that screws the wires down, not soldered, similar to the silver connector shown in the pic? WHY oh why is the RED wire the negative?:smh:

IMG_2954.JPG

You can't just solder thermocouple wires - they are made of different metals to each other, and require welding to join. Soldering them, even if it does stick, will prevent the thermocouple from giving accurate readings.

Buy a PT100 sensor to replace it, and never deal with thermocouples again.

K type thermocouple, worked fine for 3-4 brews, now giving weird readings. Seems the wires do not solder well and joints are dry. Is there an option for a panel mount that screws the wires down, not soldered
I use the panel mounts from Omega Engineering
100_9547.JPG
100_9548.JPG
100_9551.JPG

You need also thermocouple extension wire for your k type, can't use standard wire.
Connectors must be for k type too .

You can use Fast-On crimp connectors instead of soldering. My aircraft engine uses K-type thermocouples for the cylinder head temp sensors and the leads are spliced into the sensor wiring harness using Fast-On ring terminals and a #4 screw.

Those connectors from Omega are what I was looking for. So the lead from the panel plug to the Auber PID must be same wire? Just cut a few inches off the end of the themocouple lead? The lead is too long anyway.

So the lead from the panel plug to the Auber PID must be same wire?
Correct.
Thermocouple wire type k from the panel to your PID.
Just cut a few inches off the end of the themocouple lead? The lead is too long anyway.

Cutting off a few inches from the thermocouple is perfect.

Many thanks, Was getting weird readings, and the joints seemed tight. My new connectors are on the way.

Back