Soldering drain port on bottom edge of keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefost

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best place to drain from my shiny new e-keggle. Its on a stand for easy clean up with the bottom drain.

After a lot of thought, I think I want to place the wort drain port on the bottom along the edge and forego the usual dip tube. (for location see pic 1) . This way I can drain pretty much the whole keg, not worry about losing prime, not have to worry about cleaning a hopstopper, and hopefully will be far enough away from the trub pile after whirlpooling to not suck up the trub.

Since I don't want any extra material sticking out from a weldless fitting, and don't know how to weld, I think I'm gonna have to silver solder it. I've never silver soldered before but figure I'm handy enough to figure it out.

So here is my question: can that location be successfully silver soldered with the welding spud pictured below? Its kinda curved, so I have no idea if its even possible. Is there any other reasons not to do this? Seems like the ideal location but maybe I'm missing something...

Thanks in advance for any help!

photo.jpg

tnspud.png

Latest posts

Back