soil packed to tightly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
This year I am using a 50/50 mix of organic soil with vermiculite, (moss based), and organic coco fiber. It seems like the soil is really densely packed is this going to be a problem for my hops this year??

TIA
Ken

Yes it drains pretty good when I water it any excess drains right out of the bottom and side holes I made in the pot. Thats part of the reason I went with the coco fiber. It holds moisture very well but drains any excess once it reaches its water capacity.

Yea i went to the local organic hydro store the guy was like this stuff is awesome. So i decided to give it a whirl. I was orginally planing on doing a mixtuee of sand clay and soil but he didnt have sand or clay so i went with the soil vermiculite and coco mixture. I also added a layer of organic 4-4-5 fertilizer in the planter and did the first watering with a compost tea dilution.

Don't let the people at the hydroponic store fool you, coco fibre hold almost no water. If there is a significant amount of coco fibre in your potting mix you will need to be very careful about watering during the summer. How big is the pot/planter?

Are the plants going to be containerized? If yes then mix sand with your setup. It imporves drainage and gives you a larger volume relatively cheaply. Don't mix sand and clay. Sand and potting mix or compost/ manure/ humus is a great medium. Vermiculite has a nice added benefit as well if you want to spend the $.

If you are planting in the ground then mix native soil in with the mix 50/50 to acclimate the plant and prevent it from being root bound.

Check out gardenweb.com - A member there by the name of "tapla" is basically a genius when it comes to that stuff. He has an entire thesis on containerized soil culture and recommends numerous potting soil blends that really work... I know from personal experience in using them.

Here's one of them from memory:

Basic soil:

5 parts pine bark fines (partially composted fines are best)
1 part sphagnum peat (not reed or sedge peat)
1-2 parts perlite
garden lime (or gypsum in some cases)
control-release fertilizer, as directed
micro-nutrient formula, other source of micro-nutrients, or fertilizer with all nutrients - including minors

Back