software - ProMash 64bit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbrew

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help on the ProMash software compatability. A number of guys in my local club use it. Being that I'm just getting started in AG, I'd like to be able to ask some questions to them however I'm running a 64 bit machine on Vista. Does any one know if there are install compatibility problems. I have sent ProMash this question however have not received a reply and would either like to purchase it or move on to something else.

Thanks for you comments / help.

BB

Shouldn't be an issue. Most 32-bit programs will run with no issues on a 64-bit machine. I'm running Beersmith on 64-bit Windows7.

If you are just starting AG, why hookup with a program not updated since 2003?

Go for BTP or Beersmith or try something else. You can ask questions here or on the forums for the other programs.

Since you never got an actual answer to your question...

Yes, you can run PM on 64bit Vista. I installed/run it w/o any problems.
:mug:

However, as mentioned - PM hasnt been updated in several years and appears to be orphaned. I really like the way it keeps the "recipe" and the "session" separate, but I'm now in the process of switching over to Beer Tools Pro and will likely just keep dated session info in the Notes area.

Just to close this issue out for anyone else that might be interested in knowing. Promash will not install on a 64 bit machine. I didn't say that it would not RUN though. However, because it was written as a 16 bit application, it will install on a 32 bit machine. There is no registry issues so it can be moved over to the 64 bit machine. However, the help files will NOT run on Vista x64 bit. WinHelp is no longer being shipped with this version and a seperate download is necessary (search for WinHelp32.exe).

Hopefully the author of the material will eventually be well enough to update it. From what I have seen, it really is a slick program. But just like anything, it's what you get used to and adapt to make YOUR process work.

Good Luck, BB

Back