Soft Crashing for Dry Hop when using Kveik Yeast at 90+ Fermenting Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
I have used Kveik yeast before and really like being able to ferment at 90+ degrees and that fermentation is usually complete in 1-2 days. I have been reading some lately where a lot of people that are brewing hop-heavy IPAs will soft crash down to around 50 degrees when doing large dry hops, I assume to help with hop creep. Soft crashing from 68 down to 50 is not that big of a drop but going from 90+ down to 50 is quite a big drop. If I am doing a large dry hop and assuming that fermentation is complete, do y'all still recommend soft crashing down to 50 for this dry hop or just go ahead and dry hop at the normal ferment temp of around 90, then cold crash a few days later?

Are you keeping the beer at 90 even after fermentation is done? The only reason I can think to do that is if you don't have a way to avoid suck back and keep your beer from oxygenating.

Barring suck back concerns, I personally wouldn't dry hop in temps that high. As long as you have some way to avoid oxygen getting in the fermenter, i don't think there's much reason to keep the temp high at that point, so why not dry hop at ambient room temps? I've dry hopped a belgian saison in the high 70s before, and I didn't like the hop character I got. The same recipe with a dry hop in the 50s/60s had better flavor, imo. So I would say just let the beer drop down to at least room temperature and then dry hop.

I do have a way to prevent suck back and oxygen ingress, so I am good there. I was thinking it would be better to drop the temp instead of dry hopping at 90. That yeast finishes within 1-2 days so I see no reason to keep it at 90 after fermentation is done. Thanks for validating .

I do have a way to prevent suck back and oxygen ingress, so I am good there. I was thinking it would be better to drop the temp instead of dry hopping at 90. That yeast finishes within 1-2 days so I see no reason to keep it at 90 after fermentation is done. Thanks for validating .

I have always let my Voss beers settle back down to around room temp (so 70F ish) before dry hopping. I have read stories of harsh flavors when dry hopping at the 90F temp ranges, which makes sense to me. You could drop it colder to dry hop. I have found that at temps below around 60F, my hops will drop out quickly and I don't get the hop flavors I want from colder dry hops.

I suspect you’ll get more vegetal, muddled, earthy flavors if you were to dry hop that warm. If me, I’d drop the temp to somewhere below 70. Closer to 60, if you can.

Back