Sodium Metabisulfate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
I know (from reading search results) that not many here favour this as a sterilizer.

I have ordered some recently and was looking for "how" to use it.

I realise, as I said, it's not popular on here, but I thought, since I ordered it, I'd give it a go anyway.

I understand it kills wild yeasts and that brewers yeast may have some resilience to it. Thus, in theory you "could" use it in the right concentration to sterilize the wort before pitching yeast.

I don't think I'll go that far, but... I do want to clean my primary barrel and bottles with it, without using too much and killing the yeast I do want to keep.

Does anyone know of the rough concentrations I should be using for pre-fermenting/pre-bottling sanitizing? Also, what is the best process? Do I just mix it up in the bath, sanitize everything, rinse well and go, or do I need to wait for a period of time to make sure it's worn off?

Note, I believe this stuff is arriving as loose powder, not tablets.

I still have enough Young's powdered bleach sterilizer, if you really think that the SM is risky or not worth the effort. (It was cheap).

Paul

I have some experience with it from the chemistry lab though have never used it for home brewing. It smells terrible and can irritate the skin even in small concentrations. Plus, I think it has a shelf life (don't quote me on that) or may lose its effectiveness over time. It may do in a pinch but look for alternatives.

Back