Sodium in brewing water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KIDD

Reaction score
I received my water report and the sodium level is at 250 ppm. In JP's book how to brew the suggested optimal sodium level is at 50-150. Should I do anything about this. I have some gypsum I could add. What do you think?

Adding gypsum isn't going to reduce your sodium levels, unfortunately. About the only thing you can add to improve your tap water is de-mineralized water (i.e. distilled or RO water). But you are going to need something like one part tap water to two parts demineralized water, which is probably going to through other things out of balance (especially for dark beers), so you might just consider brewing with bottled spring water instead.

That's too bad -- most public water sources are fine for brewing beer, at least with a bit of treatment. You aren't so lucky.

Just a question, though -- this is a municipal water report, and not one that you had done, right? If it was one you had done, are you using a water softener in your house? If yes, that's the cause of your high sodium and your tap water might actually be OK if you take it before the softener.

It is the city water report. Sodium levels have been 250 ppm for 2005 and 2006. What if I brew with this water what will happen?

Your beer, well... umm.... will taste salty. It can also lead to a harshness in some beers, depending on your hop schedule and sulfate levels. You should also stay AWAY from gypsum if you have high sodium levels in y our water.

Back