Soda Bottle as secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonAle

Almost not Pretend Brewer
Reaction score
Im looking forward to bottle my first batch this coming weekend. It will be in the primary for 12 days by then, when I rack to the bottling bucket.

Just curious about an idea stuck in my head.

Would it be feasible to rack a portion of the brew into a soda bottle and hold to further clarify and age and then bottle at some time down the road ? The priming sugar would need to be cut back on the bottled batch of course. The soda bottle could go into the fidge or in a back room closet.

What do you think ?

The plastic would let oxygen in which is a definite no no, especially if you're trying to let it sit for a while. I'm not sure what benefits you're expecting out of a soda bottle that you wouldn't get out of aging in the glass bottles you're bottling in.

I also feel obligated to suggest that you give it more time in the primary, like another week if not two. This will help clear, and more importantly prevent exploded bottles. I know waiting sucks, particularly on first batches, but it pays off.

Ok , I'll forget about the plastic soda bottles.

I appreciate your suggestion to longer ferment in the primary. I've read enough to conclude that on all of my future batches, I will leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks minimum.

My progress on this batch however, is being monitored by my LHBS rep. He has already blasphemer'd me for leaving it in too long. He insists that I bottle ASAP and follow the directions. He reasons that beginners should first learn how to make a basic brew by number kit, and experience some success and basic knowledge before going custom.

It's a challenge to interpret the differences in opinion between the LHBS and the brewers on this and other forums.

Tell him to come on here & hear the truth. He sounds like he needs an attitude adjustment. Brewing is like good pit bbq,it's done when it's done!

Back