Soapy/perfume taste to my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilCpt

Reaction score
I have just made a batch of cider using
  1. 16 Golden Delicious Apples - chopped and peeled
  2. 12 tea bags
  3. 20g yeast
  4. 2kg brown sugar
  5. 20L water boiled with sugar and tea bags
  6. Left for 7 days with tea bags in
I have tasted it today and it has a very soapy/perfume taste to it and was looking for advice on
  1. What i did wrong - was it that i should have used Granny Smith apples ot not left the tea bags in
  2. What i could to to fix this batch - have tried sugar, salt and lemonade in some sample glasses, no significant difference.
I would ready appreciate some feedback

Thank you

You can't just plunk some apples into sugar water and get cider. You need apple JUICE. And some people (including myself) find that fermented brown sugar tastes nasty.

I dunno what you've made, but it's not cider.

Thanks for the information- I found the recipe online, but will dive into recipes here to see if I can find a proper recipe- any advice on counteracting the soapy taste ?

Thanks for the information- I found the recipe online, but will dive into recipes here to see if I can find a proper recipe- any advice on counteracting the soapy taste ?
The basics of cider are apple juice and yeast. Those two things, and time, will make cider. Way before commercially produced yeast, cider was made by pressing apples and letting the juice sit in a closed vented container for a while. There's yeast on the outside apples that will ferment the juice naturally, the same way you can press grapes and make wine without adding anything.

Are you located somewhere you have easy access to brewing supplies? You can make hard cider on a dirt cheap budget by buying a 1 gallon jug or so of apple juice, pour out a cup, add some yeast and an airlock. It should start bubbling (fermenting) within a day or two. It'll need around a month to finish up and be drinkable, though most cider is best if it sits longer before drinking. Sanitizing the airlock would be ideal, but not strictly required. The airlock keeps oxygen out of the juice to prevent oxidation but allows CO2 produced during the fermentation to escape. There are makeshift airlocks I've seen that can be used if you don't have easy access to brewing supplies.

If you want to see cider production on a bit of a larger scale you can check out my first ever batch of cider that I documented here. Yes that's on a pool forum I belong too, I figured everybody here had seen cider or other fermentation a million times and wouldn't care to see pictures of it. I was making EdWort's Afpelwein, which is a dry hard cider. The only difference between this and the dirt cheap cider I outlined above is I was making a 6 gallon batch, I added sugar for additional alcohol content, and I sanitized all equipment used. I've actually started a second batch now. Plan is to try the first batch after a month if fermentation has finished, and let the second batch age for several months before I touch it for improved flavor.

Thanks jseyfert3 - I'll check out those links you suggested. Unfortunately I am not near a brewing store, but will see what i can makeshift

Any advice on correctly my current batch ? Cheers

Back