Soapy flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

smizak

Reaction score
Now I know the probable answer to this is to RDWHA....well at least a commercial brew until mine is ready, but I'm impatient and paranoid.

I brewed my first batch about 3 1/2 weeks ago, a english style brown ale. Partial mashed w/ 2 lbs 2-row and 1 lb of crystal(60L), 6 lbs of DME. NB for bittering, Willamette for aroma.

I left it in primary a little longer than I wanted, about 2 1/2 weeks. Tasted fantastic at bottling. Used about 2/3 cup of corn sugar for priming.

I tried one today after one week in the bottle(too soon I know), and it has a sharp, straight-up soap flavor, no mistake.

I sanitized w/ Star San so I think I can discount that variable. The sample I tasted at bottling time was clean as a whistle, not a hint of any off flavors.

Anybody have any similar situation? Should I just chill and let it age awhile?

Thanx in advance.

BrianP

Reaction score
From your ingredients and process, I don't know where a soapy taste would come from. Maybe it was a freak thing like a soapy glass? I'd let it wait for a while and I'll bet everything will be fine.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
It sounds like your process is fine. Just give it some time before you judge it. Three weeks in the bottle is a rough minimum before tasting. It sounds to me like a bit of yeast bite, which is going to fade away if you condition those bottles for a couple of more weeks.