Soapmaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I've been felting soap then needle felting designs on it. The needles used are sharp and barbed. I missed my mark and the needle went in and out hence the two holes.

@Melana , I look at all those soaps and think they are awesome. Well except for the black cat gas felt soap, because it's awesomerist! :D

Getting the rest of my ingredients this week to make my first batch this weekend! Doing a simple recipe with lard, coconut oil and olive oil. Should be a fun thing to do after brewing!

OK, you mavens and men of soap - can one use rendered bacon fat to make it? My Dad keeps saving me jars of lovely white bacon fat and I can't use it up fast enough in cooking!

Yes, I would think so. I would probably heat it and pour it through a fine cheesecloth or something to strain it, and I would think it would be fine. I've never done it, but really "fat is fat".

I read somewhere about someone using old used oil from a french fryer, and I guess that would work but be a little stinky and I wouldn't like that!

Yes, I would think so. I would probably heat it and pour it through a fine cheesecloth or something to strain it, and I would think it would be fine. I've never done it, but really "fat is fat".

I read somewhere about someone using old used oil from a french fryer, and I guess that would work but be a little stinky and I wouldn't like that!

The stink goes away eventually

Indeed. Just call it pig lard in soapcalc

I was just reading about that the other day. One article described how to wash the fat before you use it. They put a big pot of water on to boil. When it was boiling they poured the bacon fat into it and boiled until it was all liquid. Then turn it off to cool and put in fridge. The meat bits would settle to the bottom and the fat would congeal on the top. Then just lift off the "clean" fat and it is ready to use.

I have night tried this yet but I am eating more bacon in preparation.

I was just reading about that the other day. One article described how to wash the fat before you use it. They put a big pot of water on to boil. When it was boiling they poured the bacon fat into it and boiled until it was all liquid. Then turn it off to cool and put in fridge. The meat bits would settle to the bottom and the fat would congeal on the top. Then just lift off the "clean" fat and it is ready to use.

I have night tried this yet but I am eating more bacon in preparation.

you can also render it and pour through a cheese cloth.

Eat more bacon for science. Brilliant.

I have been testing a homemade laundry soap recipe I found online, that seems to work pretty well:
1 part homemade soap bar (5% superfat) grated on box grater
1 part Borox
1 part Washing Soda
I put them in the food processor until it is a grainy powder. Then 2 Tbs. per wash works well. Any fragrance in the soap washes out but so do the stains. I also ready you can add Oxiclean (powdered hydrogen peroxide) but I haven't had to deep clean anything yet.

I have been testing a homemade laundry soap recipe I found online, that seems to work pretty well:
1 part homemade soap bar (5% superfat) grated on box grater
1 part Borox
1 part Washing Soap
I put them in the food processor until it is a grainy powder. Then 2 Tbs. per wash works well. Any fragrance in the soap washes out but so do the stains. I also ready you can add Oxiclean (powdered hydrogen peroxide) but I haven't had to deep clean anything yet.
You can/should use 0% superfat soap for laundry soap. 100% coconut oil soap works very well. It also makes a good stain stick so you can save some for that when you make it.

Is the 1 part washing soap supposed to be washing soda?

You can/should use 0% superfat soap for laundry soap. 100% coconut oil soap works very well. It also makes a good stain stick so you can save some for that when you make it.

Is the 1 part washing soap supposed to be washing soda?

Sorry for the typo yeah washing soda.

Do just wet the coconut oil soap and rub it on the stains to use it as a stain stick or is their a way to making the bar softer so it goes on the stain?

Thanks for the tip.

Sorry for the typo yeah washing soda.

Do just wet the coconut oil soap and rub it on the stains to use it as a stain stick or is their a way to making the bar softer so it goes on the stain?

Thanks for the tip.
You can wet it, or just rub it in dry as a pre-treat for an oily stain.

Back