SO4 vs WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My cider making won't start for a few months yet. Some recent posts about sweet carbonated cider, unsatisfactory WLP773 outcomes, etc, has started me thinking about yeasts (yet again!).

At this stage I plan to bottle at something like 1.010 and stovetop pasteurise at something like 1.007 to see if I can get a "sweeter than dry", carbonated end result. Don't know if these SGs are the best ones but they are a starting point. I will probably "taste test" after 1.010 to pick the right point then add FAJC to increase .002 or .003 for carbonation before bottling, then pasteurise when it gets down to the right "sweetness"... at least that is the theory!!!

I have been quite happy with SO4 this year, but there have also been some favourable comments on the forum regarding WLP002 (which I can also get here in Australia). According to the technical data, SO4 attenuates 72%-75% whereas WLP002 is 63%-70% (i.e. leaves slightly more sugar so the result is "sweeter"???).

Is this difference significant? I guess that there are other flavour issues that come into play with yeast selection, so I would be interested to hear any opinions regarding the two yeasts and what sort of cider they produce.

According to the technical data, SO4 attenuates 72%-75% whereas WLP002 is 63%-70% (i.e. leaves slightly more sugar so the result is "sweeter"???).
Listed attenuations for beer yeast are meaningless for apple juice.

I've only ever used wine yeasts for cider. :)

Hello from chilly Michigan [emoji300]

S04 is my go-to for my ciders below 11% ABV. Following tips from @CvilleKevin I always up my SG via FAJC then cold crash at my preferred sweetness typically in the 1.01 to 1.02 range. I've not used WLP002....but I have used WYeast1272....which was excellent too but took alot longer & wasn't as flocculate as S04. For my higher ABV ciders in the 14%+ range I use D47...which typically takes about 4weeks to ferment. I've tried a few others that I just didn't care for - S05, Premier Cuvee, 71B, EC1118.

Part of the fun during this my first year of cider making has been the experimenting.

Cheers & Good Luck [emoji111]

WLP002 (WY1968) is ESB yeast. It leaves an estery/fruity character in ESBs which is wanted. When it's done it flocs like crazy, egg drop soup style, and settles into a solid cake on the bottom, leaving sparkling clear beer behind. Good to around 8-9% I'd say, possibly higher with some training/feeding.

For what it's worth, I decided to give M2 (scott labs product) a go. It's a high nutrient demand yeast so I followed the instructions and used fermaid O at the end of lag and again about 1/2 done with fermentation. The flavor profile is amazing compared to any of the other yeasts I used (Nottingham, WLP775, Imperial Dieter Yeast.) Very fruity. OG was 1.05 and fermentation was at a steady 62-64F. Took about 10 days. This will be my go to for all ciders moving forward. I'm that impressed.

For what it's worth, I decided to give M2 (scott labs product) a go. It's a high nutrient demand yeast so I followed the instructions and used fermaid O at the end of lag and again about 1/2 done with fermentation. The flavor profile is amazing compared to any of the other yeasts I used (Nottingham, WLP775, Imperial Dieter Yeast.) Very fruity. OG was 1.05 and fermentation was at a steady 62-64F. Took about 10 days. This will be my go to for all ciders moving forward. I'm that impressed.
How compact were the lees?

Did ya cold crash it? If so...how'd it respond?

How was the finish clarity?

Cheers! [emoji111]

I just bottled a batch of cider that I did with Wyeast 1450, based on something Denny said last year. OG was 1.054. Finished at 1.006. I bottled it with a can of fajc, and will cooler pasteurize it when the 'test soda bottle' is firm.

How compact were the lees?

Did ya cold crash it? If so...how'd it respond?

How was the finish clarity?

Cheers! [emoji111]

Lees weren't all that compact. Not like a beer yeast. I'd compare it with other "medium" flocculators I've used. I did not cold crash. Clarity is slowly getting there. I racked to secondary and it's still fairly cloudy--less than it was when I first racked but still somewhat cloudy. It's been almost exactly a month since I started fermentation so I imagine maybe with one more racking and some time it'll do.

I dunno, I'm always wary of hyperbole but for my specific juice at my temps with my nutrition protocol, it's a clear clear head and shoulders above the rest. FWIW, I ordered mine from the beverage people online. It's $2.50 for 10g (1g/gallon recommended) and I pitched dry.

Lees weren't all that compact. Not like a beer yeast. I'd compare it with other "medium" flocculators I've used. I did not cold crash. Clarity is slowly getting there. I racked to secondary and it's still fairly cloudy--less than it was when I first racked but still somewhat cloudy. It's been almost exactly a month since I started fermentation so I imagine maybe with one more racking and some time it'll do.

I dunno, I'm always wary of hyperbole but for my specific juice at my temps with my nutrition protocol, it's a clear clear head and shoulders above the rest. FWIW, I ordered mine from the beverage people online. It's $2.50 for 10g (1g/gallon recommended) and I pitched dry.
Might give it a try! What was ur final SG? How much nutrient did ya add each time?

Cheers!

Might give it a try! What was ur final SG? How much nutrient did ya add each time?

Cheers!

For nutrient, I just followed the dosing sheet on the Fermaid O tech sheet. I haven't checked the final SG yet. I'll have to get back to you but I'm sure it's around 1.000

Back