So you make beer...big deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhead

Reaction score
(being sarcastic of course)

what other consumables do you produce on a regular basis that would otherwise be bought in a store?

i like making bread as well.

besides cooking in general - making and tasting different styles of bread is one of my time consuming hobbies. i just haven't found a good bread that goes well with a good beer :D .....yet

brewhead said:
(being sarcastic of course)

i just haven't found a good bread that goes well with a good beer :D .....yet

Uhhh, how about pretzels? Especially the Sourdough nugget ones. Mmmmm. I don't really make anything other than beer, but I do grow hops, so I suppose that counts. I also cook every now and again.

I make a pretty mean chili...takes about two days to cook, and it goes very well with beer. :cool:
I can also generally hold my own with anybody on the smoker...briskits, and pork shoulders, and chickens are my specialty (all with my soon to be famous sauce on the side :D ), and they all go well with beer too. :cool:

pizza!!! the perfect bread for beer ;)

i'm gonna see how some of my used yeast makes the dough taste.

i used to make sauce when i grew tomatos, but i haven't harvested any kind of fruit or veggie since my daughter was born.

i guess i was thinking more about loaf bread than pizza bread or pretzels or similar - but now that you mention it - that is good.

brewhead said:
i guess i was thinking more about loaf bread than pizza bread
A good pizza dough is just as challenging (and fulfilling) as a good loaf of bread, IMHO. :)

cowain said:
Uhhh, how about pretzels? Especially the Sourdough nugget ones. Mmmmm. I don't really make anything other than beer, but I do grow hops, so I suppose that counts. I also cook every now and again.

LOL...I made soft pretzels out of my beer once. They were Lake Walk Pale Pretzels. They rocked. Royal PITA to make dough though. I'm no Mario Batali. :D

I also made some German potato salad with my LWPA. That rocked too.

Now pizza? That's awesome.....just like Dogfish!

For what it's worth. I feel that beer is one of the noblest, most beautiful things that can be handcrafted. I'll grant you, the Mona Lisa is a really good painting, and Ethan Allen made some pretty good furniture in his day. Hell, the Ford Mustang is a fine car, but did you ever try to drink one? Chances are that if you did, it wouldn't be as satisfying or as flavorful as a beer you made yourself. Bet it wouldn't go down as smooth. Ever sat there numb and dumbfounded because you had a few too many Mustangs? Sounds crazy, I know, but one day when I'm getting the Nobel Beer Prize because of this theory, it won't seem so crazy after all. Uh...... Thanks? :confused:

Maybe I need to stop going on the forums when I'm drinking. I'm turning into the happy,loud drunk in the corner. It's fun, but embarrasing when I go back.
Thanks, El P. for being there for me. I was expecting ridicule and possible banishment. I understood LMAO, but I'm still working on the first acronym. Gimme a hint.

Told Mrs. Monkey last night that I think that those of us who are over 30 probably use the forum as a substitute for the neighborhood bar. It really is nice to be able to get drunk enough that you can barely type and talk with like - minded people. Maybe that's why the forum doesn't have instant messaging. Drunks type slow. I'm really enjoying it here. Good bunch of guys, good topics. It's just too much fun! :D

Hey, Born Brewing ..auh ..is that a tear in your beer?

Sudsmonkey, you can be so profound when under the influence..I actually followed that rant.:D Buuurrrrp! excuse me, but thought I'd through in some bar noises while I was here.

BTW , I make some killer fajitas on the grill. Yeah Baby!!

My wife grows tomatos, peppers, herbs and spices. She makes and cans some kick-ass salsa and pasta sauce. Her canning and candlemaking balance out my Brewing.

As for me, I was a bachelor 'til I was 28, so I'm a pretty good cook. I make great pancakes, scones, French toast... I also make good bread with spent grains. Chicken parmesian and stuffed pork tenderloin are my dinner specialties.
Damn... Now I'm getting hungry.

Oh, and here's a tip for you guys, if you don't already know about it. Use a paninni maker. Make an ordinary sandwich extraordinary.

I too spent a long time in bachelorhood so I became a pretty decent cook. I can grill anything. My wife, bless her heart, isn't much in the kitchen so its all up to me. My specialties are chili, salsa, crab rangoon, stuffed meatballs, meatloaf (the secret is to use goldfish crackers and BBQ sauce), stuffed peppers, and anything you can think of on the grill. Beer can chicken is what I cook when I want to impress people.

Cheesefood said:
Beer can chicken is what I cook when I want to impress people.
If you really want to impress people (especially them high falutin Schaumburg types) you call it "Chicken on a Throne". That sounds much more sophisticated than "Chicken with a Half Beer and Onion with Spices Shoved Up Her A$$"...don't you think? :D

Grilled whole red snapper > * :D

I love grilling/smoking. :) I've become a charcoal snob as of late though. I refuse to use anything but lump charcoal to cook with anymore.

Drinking tonight. Got an idea. how about a virtual cookout/ pissup ( nod to the British Bros.) . We could grill, drink and work on the General Chit-Chat column all at once. The cool thing is , you're the only one actually eating the last piece of chicken and soaking up your homebrew. We could set a date and time and just hang out. Jesus, that's so sad , I'm crying. A bunch of drunks hanging out on line. Wait... Isn't that what we're already doing? Instead of missing each other at different times on the Forum, we could all be here at once. I'm sure It's been done before. Let's not contact Guinness, unless it's the brewery. Before we even come up with a date, let me say, I gotta work this coming Saturday. Maybe it's just the beer, but I think it'd be cool.
Born brewing- The Hog's Breath site was neat. They've got a part of the bar decorated like my living room. Wait, that was my living room!

sudsmonkey said:
The cool thing is , you're the only one actually eating the last piece of chicken and soaking up your homebrew.
I like your idea, but my problem is that while I'm sitting here typing I've got three kids fighting over that last piece of chicken, one of which is also doing his best to get at my homebrew. :(

sudsmonkey said:
Drinking tonight. Got an idea. how about a virtual cookout/ pissup ( nod to the British Bros.) .
I still don't know what a pissup is...was there an official thread where that was explained somewhere? :confused:

sudsmonkey said:
Drinking tonight.
I wish you'd post your schedule in advance so's I'll know when I need to be here. ;)

El P.- I usually get on by around 7 or 8 at night unless somebody needs their cable t.v. fixed. By the way, I'm a firm supporter of the American Literacy Campaign. If these people would learn to read, my life would be easier, though I'd probably be out of a job. The term "piss-up" was introduced to us back in June or July by one of our British bros. I want to say it was Bikebryan, but can't be sure. He and his mates were planning a piss-up. I interpret it to be a rowdy drunk, if my English slang is correct. Who knows? Maybe one of the English speaking members could clear that up for us.
I feel your pain on the kids and food issue.I've got two, 12 and 14. The older one is eating me out of house and home. It's cheaper to clothe him than feed him right now. I'm thinking about lying about his age and signing him up in the army. Let Uncle Sam try to keep him full for a while. Wish I could eat like that. He eats five meals a day , sits on the couch , and stays tall and thin. That's my kind of diet plan. I just poke my belly out and tell the wife that you can't get a body like THIS by working out.

Back