So, you are at a non-craft beer place... What do you order?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now this is odd....when i try to go back to laugh at some of the stuff that was said in that thread, i can't view it. it says this:
frydogbrews, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You are trying to access a webpage that is only accessible to Premium Members.
You trying to edit someone else's post or access administrative features
You did not activate your account. To do so please follow the instructions at the following webpage; Request Activation E-mail

now, best as i can tell, i am a premium member, i'm not trying to edit anything and i certainly activated my account. so here's another acronym for ya, WTF?

Go look that where you posted the link :)

I honestly had a blast finding it and that is why I don't come out and tell people. It was well before I was a member since I wasn't 21 at the time and hadn't made an account on here due to site policy

yeah, i saw muncher took it down before i posted my other comment to you.
i would just think some rites of passage in the homebrewtalk world would be...you know....mastering lagers......learning to be patient with a barleywine....stuff like that, not finding some obscure thread. that's all.

so, not to be a penis, but i'm not sure if you know what "right of passage" means.
this one obscure thread where a guy asks some simple (and strange) questions and is then kind of ripped on, then he takes it waaaaaay to far commenting back to everyone, is not a right of passage. neither is trying to find out what EAC means, since a bunch of people on here couldn't possibly find it.
it kind of elevates the generally happy place of homebrewtalk to something different, dare i say...slightly elitist.

i posted that link because i thought it was simply a hilarious thread,

Possibly, but it's also tradition. Kinda like when someone asks what SWMBO means....

Stick around. You'll see how it's part of the HBT culture.

:mug:

yeah, i saw muncher took it down before i posted my other comment to you.
i would just think some rites of passage in the homebrewtalk world would be...you know....mastering lagers......learning to be patient with a barleywine....stuff like that, not finding some obscure thread. that's all.

I understand exactly where you are coming from! I am just not emotionally invested enough in the issue to fight one way or another :)

still curious why i still can't access that thread all of a sudden. skullduggery afoot! (isn't that a word?)

On topic: I will drink whatever sounds good to ME.

Off topic: It may be beer, food, cars, any subject. A holes will always be A holes. At the end of the day someone that chooses to be an A hole will still be missing something. Choose your own path and those you walk the path with wisely.

I will learn from someone with more knowledge about beer making. I will teach someone with less knowledge about beer making.

OP- I am saying this for discussion, not to butt heads :)

I am actually the opposite of the OP. The bar I frequent at school has a happy hour running daily until 9. It is $2 for a 32 oz mug of all the light beers, blue moon, yuengling, etc and $3 for 32 oz of everything else on tap. They carry about 4 or 5 taps of local craft beer, plus SNPA and some SA.

I usually order 1 or 2 32 oz craft beers (Highland mocha stout or kashmir IPA, Legend Brown Ale, Starr Hill Northern Lights) during happy hour. After 9 I switch to any light lager even with craft beers on tap since it is a little cheaper, and I enjoy them just as much! $3.50 for 32 oz of PBR is still not that expensive for a beer at a bar opposed to the $5 for 32 oz of Starr hill Amber Ale!

Do you expect to go to a TGIFridays and have Old Rasputin on tap?

I feel like a person should be able to set realistic expectations of what to expect of a beer list before you even step foot inside any bar or restaurant.

And if you know nothing of the joint, set the bar low and hope you can find one interesting beer. If not gimme a high life.

when there is only bmc to choose from, I have actually told the waitress/waiter to just bring me anyone of them .. they usually bring me coors lt. it seems .. maybe i look fat ...haha

Yuengling is just as prevalent here as BMC so I usually get that if there is nothing more interesting. Barring that, I'll usually get a Budweiser. Sometimes Coors or Miller if I'm looking for a corn beer. As much as I love craft beer, BMC make a good product and it has its place.

I am actually the opposite of the OP. The bar I frequent at school has a happy hour running daily until 9. It is $2 for a 32 oz mug of all the light beers, blue moon, yuengling, etc and $3 for 32 oz of everything else on tap. They carry about 4 or 5 taps of local craft beer, plus SNPA and some SA.

I usually order 1 or 2 32 oz craft beers (Highland mocha stout or kashmir IPA, Legend Brown Ale, Starr Hill Northern Lights) during happy hour. After 9 I switch to any light lager even with craft beers on tap since it is a little cheaper, and I enjoy them just as much! $3.50 for 32 oz of PBR is still not that expensive for a beer at a bar opposed to the $5 for 32 oz of Starr hill Amber Ale!

holy farting jesus, thats cheap beer! even 5 bucks for 32 oz of decent craft beer is waaay cheaper than i can get around here. and i thought st. louis had cheap beer....it would be dangerous for me to live there!

Germelli1 said:

I am actually the opposite of the OP. The bar I frequent at school has a happy hour running daily until 9. It is $2 for a 32 oz mug of all the light beers, blue moon, yuengling, etc and $3 for 32 oz of everything else on tap.

Holy crap that's like a dollar a beer for craft. Where I can go its 3.00 PINTS of bmc at HH, or at the brew pub its a flat 5er for a pint, no HH, and the hippy broads there always whore it for a tip.

I love the college town bars! The best thing about that bar is there is an upstairs and downstairs bar (because recent VA legislation banned smoking in restaurants and bars unless there is a separate floor dedicated to each). Down stairs they have a rotating tap from Highland Brewery, permanent Legend brown ale, and a rotating tap of Starr Hill. Upstairs they have permanent amber ale from Starr Hill and they used to have a VERY local breweries beer from the next county but it closed down a month ago :( They have the SNPA and SA both up and down.

I don't ever want to leave blacksburg...the beer on tap is cheaper than in the stores!

I used to order a 36 oz Sweetwater 420 or SN Pale Ale before thrashers game at Philips for $6. That's pretty cheap for an Atlanta sporting event. You'd be hammered for $12.

Edit: This was before that Thrashers moved to the fur trapping shvt-hole town in Manitoba...no hard feelings.

+ 1,000

EAC bmc bashing threads are so tiring..... :rolleyes:

I don't like rice adjuncted light lagers, or rice adjuncted lagers in general, not because they're BMC, or made by the "evil empire" and I'm "better" than those folks that drink it, but because they contain rice. So I don't like bud, bud light or sapporo for instance. But if other folks do, it's their choice. If that's all that's available, I'll drink wine or mixed drinks.

BUT, if they have Sam Adam's or Guinness, or an "MC" beer that is corn adjuncted, such as Miller, or Michelob, or more than likely here in Michigan Labatt's (like when I'm at a hockey game,) and if I'm in the mood for a beer, then I'll have that.

It's beer for chrissakes.....it's all about what you like, it's not about elitism.

And what if the OPs taste have adjusted enough to REALLY HONESTLY find all/most BMC beers untasty? It seems that the lecturing is another form of elitism. "I prefer craft/homemade beer, but I'm so tolerant that I can drink what the average guy drinks!"

To answer the OP, I'll grab a BudLite Lime. Having been fortunate enough to learn to drink in Mexico, it kind of feels like home to me in weird way (my home is Central IL, but you know what I mean). However, I can only have a few (2-3) otherwise my anus will hate me the next morning. Should have talked to me on the 5th of July when I bought a 12 pack of BLL that nobody at my 4th of July cookout drank. FML

If I was at this bar we wouldn't be opposites...I would take any of those in the second paragraph and SNPA.

As for Sam Adams I still think that Boston Lager is a high quality beer and will drink it, in fact it was the only beer I liked on the cruise I took a couple months ago. But I do NOT like their Summer Ale and think the Oktoberfest is really weak.

And what if the OPs taste have adjusted enough to REALLY HONESTLY find all/most BMC beers untasty? It seems that the lecturing is another form of elitism. "I prefer craft/homemade beer, but I'm so tolerant that I can drink what the average guy drinks!"

To answer the OP, I'll grab a BudLite Lime. Having been fortunate enough to learn to drink in Mexico, it kind of feels like home to me in weird way (my home is Central IL, but you know what I mean). However, I can only have a few (2-3) otherwise my anus will hate me the next morning. Should have talked to me on the 5th of July when I bought a 12 pack of BLL that nobody at my 4th of July cookout drank. FML

I made a Cream Ale in May, I thought it was pretty good, but holy crap my "non-craft" beer friends thought it was amazing I had people requesting Kegs of it for summer bbqs! It is probably just a taste thing, not saying I am better than anyone I just not a fan of the lighter style beers.

I also usually only have 2-3 beers, but it has nothing to do with my anus...It has more to do with the headache. :drunk:

But to the original question, I actually agree with you conditionally :)

As much as I love my BMC, the price vs. quality is really the main thing that allows me to enjoy a Light Lager. If the bar is serving BMC at craft prices, then I would definitely find another option (probably water)!

And what if the OPs taste have adjusted enough to REALLY HONESTLY find all/most BMC beers untasty?

Part of the problem, and going back to the OP refusing to drink anything from an "evil empire" is that BMC covers a lot more than Bud, Miller, Coors. I think it's really a principal thing for the OP.

Its funny how long ago the OP tapped out. He probably doesn't even drink beer anymore after this.

Part of the problem, and going back to the OP refusing to drink anything from an "evil empire" is that BMC covers a lot more than Bud, Miller, Coors. I think it's really a principal thing for the OP.

The OP never said he had anything against the "evil empire"...He just doesn't like light BMC lagers now if you had brewed a light lager I would try it...

Also I found the EAC thread a couple times, but I can't access it

I definitely am an EAC

That was me and it wasn't an "evil empire" or anti-corporation thing. As I stated and clarified, I simply don't like anything that they brew. This includes all of their smaller breweries they own as well. There are also a lot of craft breweries that I don't drink anything they brew because they don't brew great tasting beer.

Germelli1 said:
Pssst, he posted twice in a row three posts back :eek:

Hey he did! I think I accidently skipped the last page before replying. What id like to know is, how do you homebrew when your stationed in the service, and especially how do you maintain a taste for fine ale. Those guys are fed slop.

Hey he did! I think I accidently skipped the last page before replying. What id like to know is, how do you homebrew when your stationed in the service, and especially how do you maintain a taste for fine ale. Those guys are fed slop.

I was active duty for 6 years, didn't brew a batch...

I am now in the Guard (Reserves), but this fall I am getting a 6 month alcohol free trip to the desert courtesy of Uncle Sam :ban::ban:

I am now in the Guard (Reserves), but this fall I am getting a 6 month alcohol free trip to the desert courtesy of Uncle Sam :ban::ban:

Dry yeast packet, 5 gallon water can, mess hall fruit. Not that I did that in KAF or anything....;)

put a little lemon juice in that jailhouse cider if you can't find any other source of citric acid.

I'm pretty sure EAC means Election Assistance Commission or Exact Audio Copy or The East African Community (EAC) or wait maybe I'm confused

I think I would drink 3 of their BMC (just to stick it to the MAN) & then have whatever sounds good with that meal. I guess that is just how I roll.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice - stay safe!

Back