So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up a pre-prohibition porter over the weekend. Ear marked for an "under 5%" club competition. I got ridiculously good efficiency, so probably going to be a bit north of 5%.
20210606_110915.jpg

Not the weekend but it’s cold, foggy, and rainy, too muddy for any outside work. And, we leave for the city house tomorrow; grandson #2 is playing in an All Star football game in Billings Sat. morning. So, a good excuse for a brewday.

Brewing a “Hazy Ale”. I put this recipe together after having a low gravity, slightly hoppy beer that came in an Odell’s sample 12 pack. It’s basically “NEIPA Lite”. Around 4% ABV, all late hop additions except a small bittering charge at 60. If this turns out to be close to the Odell version I think I’ll like it a lot.
30F14804-1DCA-4C0F-BE36-CA6F4AC39AA1.jpeg

Was planning to brew a Piwo Grodziskie (Gratzer) out in the garage this Sat, but we've been stuck in this 95-100 degree pattern for a week and it's not letting up. They said Sat may be "cooler," as in only 90. Not sitting around a propane burner with that.

Still going to brew it, but indoors on the stove. With a 6lb grain bill of smoked wheat, it should be a simple BIAB.

@grampamark, I'll swap you for the cold & rainy. ;) It's dry here and we need rain.

After my last couple of brew days getting rescheduled because of life, it's been six weeks since I've brewed, and I'm jonesing hard. I bought some Pride of Ringwood hops, and I'm planning on brewing an Aussie sparkling ale this weekend!

Brewing a WCIPA, this one will use Voss yeast.
West coast!

Same here! Using up some older hops and cracking into some new bags. Grain bill is American 2-Row, Malted Wheat and Crystal 20. Chinook, Columbus and Centennial hops! BeerSmith says I am over 100 IBUs, but this recipe does not seem very bitter to me. The recipe started as a Racer 5 clone that I have tweaked over the years.

The dry hop charge for 5 gallons will be 2 oz Chinook and 2 oz Centennial. I split the wort into two fermenters and plan to dry hop one at 70F for 2 days before cold crashing and dry hop the other at 40F for 2 days. The last batch I dry hopped cold and really liked the hop character.

WCIPA - Hops.jpg
WCIPA - Mash.jpg

Same here! Using up some older hops and cracking into some new bags. Grain bill is American 2-Row, Malted Wheat and Crystal 20. Chinook, Columbus and Centennial hops! BeerSmith says I am over 100 IBUs, but this recipe does not seem very bitter to me. The recipe started as a Racer 5 clone that I have tweaked over the years.

The dry hop charge for 5 gallons will be 2 oz Chinook and 2 oz Centennial. I split the wort into two fermenters and plan to dry hop one at 70F for 2 days before cold crashing and dry hop the other at 40F for 2 days. The last batch I dry hopped cold and really liked the hop character.

View attachment 732064View attachment 732065
Similar grain bill: 2-row, 10L and flaked wheat. Hops: hop shot, El dorado and centennial (101 IBUs) with el dorado/centennial for whirlpool. Same recipe as last month just changing the yeast. Voss is amazing. Pitched at 12 noon at 95 oC and already going strong at 3:30.

Wel i got 20lbs pale, ~1lb Chocolate, 12ozs crystal 60, and a pinch (~8oz) roast barley sparging right now, first runnings were 1.097, with my 7 gallons of strike water! should be good! :mug: (been getting tired of yellow beer, need some roastiness to make me feel well fed again!)

Not weekend yet, but I am doing the sparge for a best bitter. Been on a bit of a bitter streak lately, trying to make a base recipe for a best and a strong bitter that I am satisfied with, and use those as house ales and just do some changes with hops for variation.

Attachments

• 20210617_104124.jpg
    20210617_104124.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 5
Spur of the moment pale ale today, 10lbs two row and 1lb crystal 40 or 60 (somebody forgot to label the bag). Have to go in to work later, and my mom wants to go see my dad tomorrow which will be an all-day ordeal, so decided to hurry up quick and get set up. Usually at this time I'm already sparged out and waiting for the boil, this one might take a bit longer since the groundwater promises to be a bit warm for chilling by the time I'm done.

Made 2.5 gal of HBT Orfy's English Dark Mild. Love this recipe have made it several times.
Relatively new ish system to me still.
Third brew, nailed the gravity....so there's that.
But I had a stuck sparge and first brew day where I let the kids help...I was distracted and the diptube spun (somehow) so I left like half gallon of wort in the boil kettle that I didn't notice til much later...doh!
Overall successful tho...maiden voyage on new ferm chamber as well.

Bought a new mash tun yesterday, so of COURSE I had to test it out today! 5g of a kolsch-like thing with 9.5lbs pilsner and .5lb Munich, will use Tettnanger & maybe some Hallertau Blanc for the hops. And ferment on Lallemand Kveik dry for the first time; I've used the Imperial Kveiking and Loki in the past, intrigued to see what the dry version does.

Made 2.5 gal of HBT Orfy's English Dark Mild. Love this recipe have made it several times.
Relatively new ish system to me still.
Third brew, nailed the gravity....so there's that.
But I had a stuck sparge and first brew day where I let the kids help...I was distracted and the diptube spun (somehow) so I left like half gallon of wort in the boil kettle that I didn't notice til much later...doh!
Overall successful tho...maiden voyage on new ferm chamber as well.
I have made that beer several times also. I really like it.

brewed my Ballantine clone and used kveik yeast this time. first time using it, it took off in about 2hrs. so far impressed but we'll see when we get to taste.

I kicked off the weekend by brewing a 3 gallon batch of a Saison (SMaSH with Pils and Hersbrucker) and split it into 3 fermenters. Belle Saison dry yeast, WLP565 Saison and Omega Voss. I have been planning to brew a 5 gallon batch of Saison and split it with Belle Saison and WLP565, but my 3-gallon fermenters are occupied for a few more days. I have been wanting to try and get 3 gallons out of my 5-gallon kettle (BIAB, just needed to sparge with 0.7 gallons) and I have been wanting to learn more about Voss (I have only used it in 3 hoppy beers so far).

Split Batch Saison.jpg

RO water made. Grains measured. Grainfather given a rinse. Water heated. Salts added. Grains milled. 30 minutes spent looking for the top overflow pipe on the grainfather before realising I likely threw it out with the spent grain last brew day. Ugh.

Not the weekend, but mashing and starting the souring of a strawberry basil (maybe jalapeño too) kettle sour.

Currently no IPA on tap, so I'm going to break out the Kveik slurry from the Kolsch and brew up the current House IPA; about 80/20 two-row/pilsner, with nothing but Sabro & Citra hops late, no bittering addition. Last summer when I did this one on Loki it had a HUGE pineapple presence with just a hint of coconut and was absolutely spectacular. Husband's b-day is this Saturday and we're going to the Mariners game and crashing in a hotel Saturday night, so might have to do this one on Monday (observed holiday for work).

Back